Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-28-2009, 12:18 AM

Default Watauga?

So has anyone floated or fished it recently? Billyspey was there last Friday driving through and counted 27 trailors at Twin Bridges! Another good guide in the area said that there were 44 boats floating that section one day last week! I'm sorry but that is nuts! That's just about literally floating back to back boats the entire length of that section of the river. There's only a dozen decent "honey/guide" holes in there too. Bet that was one crappy day on the river.

Makes me wonder about TU's advertisement of the river on their new show! I've heard there are alotta NC guides floating that river right now! Wondering why with all of that good mountain stream fishing they'd be rowing bumper boats?

Recent discussions have brought this topic up in the past. Just something else to make you realize the truth behind it all!

~Brett
Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 AM

Brett,

I and chad (aka Green Weenie) were up there on Saturday. We went to what I believe is twin bridges and it was a zoo. there was a run we were going to fish below there, but it looked like a ride at dollywood with all the boats. at least 15-20 boat trailers there. I did notice alot of NC tags. fishing was ok. we ended up getting into a nice caddis hatch (not THE caddis hatch, though) and a flurry of sulphurs in the late PM.

I met and spoke with Randy Ratliff for a while. Very nice guy and very helpful. If you read this, Thanks!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 AM

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 10:27 AM..
Old 04-28-2009, 10:09 AM

Default Upper Wautauga

I fish this river very often and it has been crazy lately. I have also seen alot of NC tags. I have noticed that the Trophy section has not been producing as many sizeable fish this year. This is the section that is getting pounded with boats rights now. If fishing there on the weekend and trying to stay away from the crowds, you can always float the upper section by putting in below Wilbur Dam. This section can fish just as good and is much more scenic IMO. It is just that time of year though. Everyone wants to be out on the water in spring. It should slow down some when summer comes. There are also wading opportunities that can get you away from the crowds. Sycamore Shoals, VFW, or riverbend. If anyone would like more info feel free to email christian_aaron11@hotmail.com .
Old 04-29-2009, 07:10 AM

Thank goodness the Caney is running water

Grumpy
Old 04-29-2009, 08:12 AM

As long as people are willing to pay there will be someone there to take them.When I moved to the area (WNC) I could not believe the number of "guides".It seems if you have a boat and trailer you are a guide. Dont get me wrong I have met and fished with a couple as friends and if I wanted to have a guide trip(I dont) they are real professionals. Do guides in Tn or NC have to be licensed in any way or take a test to to show they are competent in more than rowing a boat?
Old 04-29-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canerod View Post
As long as people are willing to pay there will be someone there to take them.When I moved to the area (WNC) I could not believe the number of "guides".It seems if you have a boat and trailer you are a guide. Dont get me wrong I have met and fished with a couple as friends and if I wanted to have a guide trip(I dont) they are real professionals. Do guides in Tn or NC have to be licensed in any way or take a test to to show they are competent in more than rowing a boat?
TN, no, there are a bunch of us that would like to see that changed!

Grumpy
Old 04-29-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermansfly View Post
So has anyone floated or fished it recently? Billyspey was there last Friday driving through and counted 27 trailors at Twin Bridges! Another good guide in the area said that there were 44 boats floating that section one day last week! I'm sorry but that is nuts! That's just about literally floating back to back boats the entire length of that section of the river. There's only a dozen decent "honey/guide" holes in there too. Bet that was one crappy day on the river.

Makes me wonder about TU's advertisement of the river on their new show! I've heard there are alotta NC guides floating that river right now! Wondering why with all of that good mountain stream fishing they'd be rowing bumper boats?

Recent discussions have brought this topic up in the past. Just something else to make you realize the truth behind it all!

~Brett
Brett,
My buddy Scott did that float multiple times last year about this time, and it was the same then. He said they could barely find a place to park, and most plates were from out of state. IMO, if I know I am going to be combat fishing, the Watauga is not one I would consider worth it. Especially when the SoHo is just over the hill.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 04-29-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
TN, no, there are a bunch of us that would like to see that changed!

Grumpy
Absolutely.

I don't know if licensing would help that situation of 40 boats in one bucket but it sure would help with extra monies for TWRA, and possibly even weed out the "I gotta boat am a guide" crowd. I think a $1000 dollar outta state guide license sounds about right.

I feel pretty fortunate to work the waters I work, as all the other guides (actual full time guides) I share the waters with are all professionals and not fly by nighters. We have a few guide wannabes running around but they tend to fade out quickly. I'd hate to have to deal with 40 boats....I'd go nuts.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:04 PM

A friend is a guide in Northern NY mostly on the Battenkill. In order to be licensed in NY look up the following on google(I do not know how to add links)
On google look NYS Licensed guide program. On the right hand drop down look at exam content.The first few are general categories for all guides and then farther down it tells about for fishing.It eliminates a lot of the "I have boat and trailer and will travel". You have to know what you are doing and it might be needed here. dave