Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-28-2009, 12:38 PM

Default Middle prong

Ended work early on Monday and headed towards Tremont. Stopped earlier than I wanted to when I saw some water I usually passed up. Tied on a neversink caddis and I didn't get any hits. Moved up the water a little ways and tied on one of my horrible creations. I got one nice rainbow to hit it which threw the fly just as I had him in the shallows. I grabbed him and snapped a quick photo with my cell phone
Landed a couple war paint shiners and then hooked into this rainbow a few minutes later.

After seeing a large black colored snake slither throught the grass next to me I decided to speed things up. I tied on a cream bodied parachute and the second cast over the top of a rock an explosion occured and I was hooked up. This nice rainbow pulled hard, but finally came to hand and allowed me to take another pic. All in all this was the best day size wise I have ever had on the middle prong. Just a bit windy which caused me to shorten my casts and High stick more. Great day to be in the mountains.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 PM

good report Ben....congrats on the bows, hoping I get into a few of them when we get there May 14,15 &16......leave a few of them in the water for us.....

God Bless & Good Fishing
bob
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 04-28-2009, 02:03 PM

Default A Bit Bigger this year

Ben, I know the subject has been discussed on here before...and I think you are right, as well. The fish seem to be a bit bigger up Tremont this year. The last couple of years I only managed a few small rainbows. But lately I've caught more fish, but mor einteresti8ngly is that they have been definitely larger.

The last two years I would catch half a dozen 4-6", this year I usually catch a few more than that and most are around 8" and larger. There are still some 4 inchers every once in awhile, but they seem to be the exception, rather than the rule...

I've been having good success with an Olive or Grey no-hackle Caddis with a bit of peacock herl.

Glad you had a great day!

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 04-28-2009, 05:38 PM

Ben,

Don't worry about in black snakes in the USA. They have teeth, but no fangs. A bite would hurt, but unless he's very large, I doubt you would care that much. They are great for keeping mice and rats under control, so I love to have on or two around the house. Also, when you go to Treemont, do you wade mostly?

Dwayne
Old 04-28-2009, 08:23 PM

I ran into this guy along Sam's Creek Easter weekend.

It's a black rat snake and they are harmless. I have even known folks to make pets out of this species.

A black racer on the other hand is a nervous & aggressive species. The black racer is jet black except for a white chin.

Chris
Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 PM

Default For Chris

How did you do on Sams Creek? What kind of flies were you using?

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 04-29-2009, 08:20 AM

BRF- I do wade when I have to, but I try to stay out of the wate as much as possible. If I spook the fish in the back of the pool, then tend to run towards the front and turn on the warning light for all the other fish. I'm too big to be super stealthy.

WVbrookie- that is the same patterned snake that I saw. It was just making his way along the rock line. Good to know that they are more or less harmless.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the schooling. I knew not to wade in the smaller parts of the river, but wasn't sure about the wider parts.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:04 PM

i dont know about harmless, but they arent poisonous. They still bite though, and it does hurt