Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 05-03-2009, 10:34 PM

Default Why I fish

I am replying to several of the threads on here that talked about why we all fish.

I started when I was a student at UT when a friend of mine, Glenn, mentioned that he was going fly-fishing. I asked if I could tag along and have him show me some basic knots, etc... so I could fish myself. Have been hooked ever since, and it has brought a joy to my life that few other activities ever have. A few years back I was reading a book called Trout Madness by Robert Traver. (I think that is how you spell it) One passage sums up perfectly what I love about fishing. Thought others of you might like it as well.

I fish because I love to. Because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly. Because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape. Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion. Because trout do not lie or cheat and can not be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience. Because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one, dont want to waste the trip. Because, mercifully, there are no telephones on trout waters. Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness. Because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there. Because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid. Finally not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun!!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:00 AM

Thumbs up Yes

Todd,

I have that quote in a frame on a table in my office. My wife gave it to me last year for Christmas. It is wonderful.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:26 PM

Excellent.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com