Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-04-2009, 04:47 PM

Default Caney Scouring

So much for what I though was going to be a good summer on the Caney Fork. After fishing on Friday I had high expectations but now I just hope that there are a few fish left and something for them to eat. Current forecast releases are showing over 20000 cfs for the next few days... Hope the large fish at least find a way to ride it out. All those fresh stockers are going to become striper and brown trout bait though I fear...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-04-2009, 05:10 PM

Whoa! 20,000 CFS, that is rolling. I expect the same on the Clinch before all is said and done. My guess is that before the week is over, the Clinch is either sluicing or has the flood gates open.

Norris is already at summer pool according to the TVA website. And the water level is continuing to rise. Only 14' from the top of the flood gates.

I wonder how that will affect the sulfur hatch.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 PM

Yeah, I hope they stop generating by Mid May. I may have to go to the Duck. I need to tie some flies and get ready.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:06 PM

Unhappy Don't Go

Planning to go to the Duck? Check the TVA website for release information. At over 8000 cfs it is really roaring so don't go. The stocking last week was probably a waste of resources. Those fish will probably end up a long, long way downstream.
Anyway last year's talk of rationing water, etc due to low lake level should not be a topic of discussion this year. Current level is just over a foot below the top of the flood gate.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post

I expect the same on the Clinch before all is said and done. My guess is that before the week is over, the Clinch is either sluicing or has the flood gates open.

Norris is already at summer pool according to the TVA website. And the water level is continuing to rise. Only 14' from the top of the flood gates.
You are probably right! I checked some of the rain gauges in areas upstream and it as insane...

Daily Precipitation for May 2009 (inches) Gage ID - Location (Operator) 5/1 (Oneida, TN COE)
Fri 5/2 - 0.59 Inches
Sat 5/3 - 1.29 Inches
Sun - 3.70 Inches
Monthly - 5.58 Inches
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-04-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Yeah, I hope they stop generating by Mid May. I may have to go to the Duck. I need to tie some flies and get ready.
Man, at this rate they'll be generating all summer. If they quit by sometime in June I'll be happy...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-04-2009, 09:27 PM

When I was driving back from Elkmont and I passed the Caney it was over it's banks, and almost onto the pasture. I knew it would be A LONG time before I would be able to fish it again.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
Man, at this rate they'll be generating all summer. If they quit by sometime in June I'll be happy...
They get you addicted and then pull the rug out from under ya. I guess I could go to the Clinch again.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfishing View Post
Planning to go to the Duck? Check the TVA website for release information. At over 8000 cfs it is really roaring so don't go. The stocking last week was probably a waste of resources. Those fish will probably end up a long, long way downstream.
Anyway last year's talk of rationing water, etc due to low lake level should not be a topic of discussion this year. Current level is just over a foot below the top of the flood gate.
Yep, I always check the generation schedule. If they stop generating at all, it will be better than the Caney.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:09 AM

I don't see them backing off on the generation on the Caney anytime soon...I guess it's time to focus on bass and panfish...