Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-06-2009, 04:26 PM

Default Water flows/sulphurs

John,
I am still not convinced that the lack of sulphurs on the Clinch for a few years back in 1998 were all from the big flows for several weeks. I am not a card carrying engineer but all flow is not turbulent, and especially in rivers it is usually laminar, therefore slower the lower you go to the bottom. Were the insects unable to hatch and get to the surface with that much water going, and therefore died, my money is on this and not stream bottom disruption.

During that time I and my son found chlorine and phosphates from the canoe lauch site at Norris Dam to below Miller's Island. (Science project with kits supplied by AmeriCorp) IF you remember for a long time the grass/moss/algea was thick from the dam down, but then for about 1-2 years looked like a freestone stream. It was around this time of the big flows as well. Where there was once HEAVY sowbug and scud populations above the weir, they dropped off and now are just starting to come back as is the greenery. Now unfortuneatly, we have Didymo replacing alot of the algea.

My theory on the Caney that as Grumpy kind of eludes to is that it won't make a difference, just bigger fish when the generators shut off, and from the sounds of it, the Caney could use a break from all the pressure in the past few years.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:57 PM

I'm a little worried because that's a lot of warmwater being dumped in, hopefully, there's enough coming through the generators to cool it, then again, we're looking at a 18' rise of nothing but warmwater

Fingers crossed & knocking on wood!

Grumpy
Old 05-07-2009, 07:42 AM

I think the major problem the Caney faces in floods like this one is the silt that's left behind on the river bottom that will smother out the aquatic insects. No food, no decent Trout. Pretty sure the Bow population will be hurt pretty badly but the Browns should be fine and fatter then ever. This is another prime reason the Brown Trout need better regulation then is currently in place.

Got Striper?
Mike
Old 05-07-2009, 06:22 PM

9 of next 10 days forecast more rain.......

Has anyone heard how the leaks in the dam are holding up?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:14 PM

All dams in Middle Tennessee are generating 24/7, 2 generators.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:33 PM

We had a speaker at our club meeting from TVA, said that Caney is one major rain event (4-5 inches I think he said) from wiping out the trout. My understanding was that the danger was during warm months, and would continue as long as the dam repairs are underway, ie the next few years

sb
Old 05-08-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
We had a speaker at our club meeting from TVA, said that Caney is one major rain event (4-5 inches I think he said) from wiping out the trout. My understanding was that the danger was during warm months, and would continue as long as the dam repairs are underway, ie the next few years

sb
&we're working on our 2nd rainfall i agree with Mike, the browns have a chance, not sure about the bows or specks though.

Grumpy
Old 05-08-2009, 09:53 PM

Default Sulphurs on the Clinch

I know what you mean about the slower water in the bottom. I wonder if maybe just the shear volume of water during the peak of the Sulphur hatch made it nearly impossible for the bugs to get to the surface, or if they were successful getting out maybe the eggs never made it to the bottom. In either case, lost. All I know is they were all but non-existent for 4-5 years, and it followed the flooding.
Best,
John
Old 05-08-2009, 11:55 PM

Default Dam?

I too was wondering about the seepage problems. USCORPS stated, which is still on their website, that they were going to keep the levels at 630 ft above sea level. It appears as if there 19' above that mark and climbing. 649.02ft, I was wondering if this was making for some nervous folks downstream. They say 630 ft is between 5 to 10 ft of normal pool.

I hope the fish and the river system pull through. I was convinces that the next state record brookie would come from that river system. They did exceptionally well in that river. Absolutely beautiful strain of brook, almost as good as something you would catch in the upper elevation of the park. Just alot longer and fatter!

Rainfall doesn't make things look too hot!

~Brett
Old 05-09-2009, 11:43 AM

Default Corps not TVA

My bad, Center Hill is a Corps dam, not a TVA. Speaker was from the Corps.
I realized my error shortly after shutting down my computer, but haven't had a chance to correct myself until now.

sb