Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-06-2009, 10:49 AM

Default Cape San Blas in June

The family will be heading down the first week in June for our annual trip to Cape San Blas, and I'm really looking forward to the break. Every year we have been fortunate to catch plenty of fish, many different species, and of course the natural beauty of St. Joseph's Bay is worth the trip. Last year we able to catch the Spanish Mack's heavy in the Bay, and this year I'm taking my flyrod for sure just in case they are schooled up along with the bluefish and ladyfish in the harbor. Byron has documented the abundance of fishing in the area, and we have never been disappointed with fishing. Here are a few pics:

Old 05-06-2009, 11:16 AM

Sweet pics man, i am buying a new flats boat in 2 weeks and really wanna explore fla, as well as my home SC lowcountry you know anything about chasing baby tarpon down there?

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 05-06-2009, 12:06 PM

In the past few years we have seen them jump in the bay, and sometimes for the beach, but have never had the chance to cast to one. As Byron has mentioned, they fish for them more over toward Appalachacola Bay more than St. Josephs. We have also seen Manta rays wider than my little boat, jump out of the water, alot higher than may flatbottom boat, and it will really wake you up! Byron is also right about the sharks, we have seen, caught plenty of our share of sharks. Bull sharks are there along with many other types, so I'm careful not to wade after dark there.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 PM

Don't blame you there bull sharks no thanks, the dumbest meanest worst seeing fish out there. I grew up surfing and the fact that I have all my limbs having spent as much time chasing waves as I did, alll over the world, I count myself luck, Would you say the gulf is user friendly for first time boat fishing trip?

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 05-06-2009, 01:36 PM

I would say this area of the Gulf Coast is user friendly, I grew up on the Gulf Coast of Texas and was taking a 15' flat bottom out in Matagorda Bay when I was 11 years old, I would say I'm pretty comfortable with "shallow"/inshore water, now offshore is a whole other beast. I pull my 15' boat down there very year, watch the wind, weather very close. The good thing about St. Joseph Bay, you have plenty of options depending on the wind, and you can usually find fishable water. The main threat other than waves are the afternoon thunderstorms that can pop up, I do not want to be too far from the ramp when the skies look dark, and with the water being shallow, the waves can roll up pretty quick. A couple more pics:

Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 PM

I love that place. I can't think of a better location in Florida. Great pictures too. I know a whole lot of people who fish there. Wish I was going there soon. Ordered a new inexpensive boat to fish here for now. Gonna pay for it by not going to Florida for two years. Then we'll take it to Port St. Joe.

Byron
Old 05-07-2009, 08:00 AM

I know what you mean, I love the place also, and I believe that more people are finding out about the fishing, but thankfully, the bay is big enough. I need to get a boat that is more adapted for saltwater fishing, my boat and trailer both show signs of wear and tear from the saltwater and fish, but it's paid for, so until it rusts to the ground, we will keep pulling to Florida.

Byron, have you put in at Presnell's? Depending on the wind, I prefer to put in there, and fish that side of Black's Island, toward the head of the Bay. Donna and the staff at Presnell's have always been nice, and they have always helped us witha good fishing report.
But last year we have a South Wind, and we had to stay on the beach side most of the week.