Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 05-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Default Tent Recommendations

Just wondering what everyone else out there is using when it comes to tents for backpacking. Since the bear incident, I've got to get a new tent before I head west. Weight and packed size (dimensions) are important to me but so is not breaking the bank. My last tent was a Big Agnes Sarvis SL with eVent but they don't make that one anymore. Right now I'm leaning towards the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 2 but I'm open to suggestions. The Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 1 is very cool also and weighs almost nothing but I would like a tent that could handle two people in a pinch (I like a roomy tent by myself). As you can tell, I am partial to the Big Agnes tents but would like to hear what others have to say on other brands as well... Thanks for any suggestions!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-08-2009, 10:52 PM

Anything Sierra Designs makes.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:31 PM

cubefisher, anything in particular you like about the Sierra Designs tents? I have looked at them but am not real impressed with the weight and pack size on their products. I will say that I have heard lots of good stuff about the Clip Flashlight tent though... Also, any particular model that you really like? I'm probably wanting a 2 person tent...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-08-2009, 11:36 PM

My dad and I have the kelty grand mesa 2 tent and we like it a lot.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:00 AM

Kelty or MSR...MSR is like the un "Official" tent of the AT. Pricey but more than likely worth the dough. I've got a buddy's Kelty. 2 man, takes about 3 minutes to fully set up. Simple!

~Brett
Old 05-09-2009, 12:00 AM

PA, I have a Kelty Gunnison 2.1 and really like it. Its more of a car camping tent that you can backpack with (its about 5.5lbs), rather than the Seedhouse which is a truer backpacking tent. The farthest down the trail I would take (have taken) our Kelty is about 3-5 miles. Its not meant for multi-day trips on the AT, but its a good basecamp tent...

REI has some good stuff on their website with lots of reviews. Big Agnes has a great reputation and if you want to stay ultralight, its probably the way to go...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-09-2009, 12:35 AM

You might want to check out some of the REI tents if you're on a budget. I have a Half-Dome that's gotten me through all sorts of weather. It's built surprisingly well for a value tent. I'm sure you won't want the half-dome, due to it being a bit heavy (5lb-ish), but you might consider the Quarter Dome T2 (<$200). REI has a great return policy also, if you decide it's not something you want to keep.

For backcountry trips I use a Hilleberg Akto (solo). It's one of the best investments I've made.

My friend has a Big Agnes Copper SL 2, which he raves about. I was able to check it out a couple of weeks ago when we hiked back to #47 on Raven Fork. It's a solid tent for being so light; it's quite roomy too. A bit expensive though. Your best bet may be the Seedhouse that you're already considering.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:53 AM

I have a big agnes seedhouse sl3 and love it. It offers plenty of ventilation and has weathered a few heavy storms with no problems at all. I definitely love mine and wouldn't hesitate to buy another big agnes product.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:00 AM

I upgraded to Big Aagnes Seedhouse 1 last year. Very easy to setup and packs down well. It's not the SL, so I got a great deal on it.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:58 AM

I have the MSR Zoid 1 and love it! It's right at 4 pounds.

My friend liked it so well he bought the Zoid 2 - for a little more room.

Chris