Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-15-2009, 08:25 AM

Default Cataloochee day 2

So knowing the water was droping a bit I blazed outta work a little early and headed to Cataloochee for the second straight day. Got to the stream and the bgs were already coming off in large numbers, types and sizes. There were even these monster bugs that looked like green drakes. Literally the first 3 or 4 casts yielded 2 fish. I was kneeling on the bank and the fish were all around I got the slam with the prize being one of the bigger speck I have caught a real beauty would have gone 10 + inches for sure. The thunder and some rain took over and the fish went down as leaves hit the water along with rain drops. At one point I was casting to a rising fish with a elk 20 yards away feeding on the bank, don't get much better than that! See yall at troutfest.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 05-15-2009, 08:54 AM

Glad you had a good trip in a short amount of time. I know the water has been high there recently. Was it difficult to fish?

I hope the river is back a bit from last year. I heard it got hit hard by the drought.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:28 AM

It was looking great! As full as I have seen it in several years. It wasn't tough fishing, I took most trout from the slowere pool sections, casting from the bank and outta the water where possible. The water got a little bump from the rain last night you can check the levels on this web site http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?03460000
The was such a wonderful variety of bugs hatching, if you can go today I would cuz more rain is coming tomorrow and it will be up a good bit and probably diffiult then.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 05-15-2009, 10:27 AM

Sounds like a good trip. Years ago, the Cataloochee was my favorite stream even though it was a five hour trip to get there. Wouldn't happen to have a pic of that 10 incher would you? That's a nice fish.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:42 AM

I wish i don't usually take a camera with me on the rivers, at least not when I am alone plus I am apt to crawl around and sometimes even fall, don't really wanna dunk my digi camera, might have to go pick up another disposable one. I don't really like handeling em any more than I have to. Sure was a pretty fish, I actually got all 3 species in the first run of the afternoon and within a short time, the bow was an absolute acrobat, and the brown was the biggest fish of the day, really cool, the biger fish are moving and hungry.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 05-15-2009, 10:54 AM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Boy View Post
the bigger fish are moving and hungry.
I fished the WPLP yesterday afternoon/evening and half of the fish I caught were 8" and above (with several pushing 10"). Two weeks ago in the same spots I was catching mostly 4-6" fish.

The fish also looked healthier than I remember; football shaped with bright cheeks and flanks. Thankfully the drought appears to be over!

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-15-2009, 10:59 AM

Carolina,

I put my camera in a plastic bag if I'm going to be in the thick stuff and sinch the strap as small as it will go around my neck. Question: Is Cataloochee a special permit area, or can I just go with my state license? How far up the trail should I go from the visitor center of trail head? Which forks do you fish?

Thanks,

BRF
Old 05-15-2009, 11:42 AM

No it is park water you tn or nc license will be fine. I was in a time crunch cuz I went over after work. i was fishing what is known as Palmer Creek. I am actually friends with Gugger Palmer one of the last people born & raised in "The Plamer House' he is 92 I think, good frineds with my Grandma, makes that place special for me? When you head down into the Valley you will go from a dirt road back to a paved one. About 2.5 miles down you will cross a bridge and there is a sign for the Palmer house and group camping area make that right hand turn, the Palmer house is on the left river on the right, drive down to steel bridge fish all the way back up. Really pretty water with elk all around, talk about fishing where you feel you are being watched!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 05-15-2009, 12:10 PM

That was one of my favorite stretches of water. There used to be a big pool in front of the house that always seem to have a couple of trout rising. I tried to hit that right at dusk. Lovely stream.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:26 PM

Did exactly what you are talkin bout both nights! Special place

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)