Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 05-19-2009, 10:05 PM

Following my Easter trip to the Smokies, I tried to add Kentucky to my list of states in which I have caught brook trout - 7 in the Appalachians and 4 in the Rockies.

My target was Shillalah Creek, but the gazatteer and GPS did not match the roads. After driving through two "parking lots" near the visitors center, we finally found the stream. We parked in a church lot and we were asked to leave by a local before we could even step in the stream. He was nice about it and we were very respectful.

I think we may have found the trailhead (unmarked ?) that routes you around the private property, but didn't have time to hike in.

I will be back sometime!

Chris
Old 05-20-2009, 09:51 PM

hey eku brookie biologist, you wouldn't happen to know how the carp and smallie fishing in the new is going would you?
Old 05-23-2009, 01:06 AM

I will know soon, VERY SOON! Ill call ya up and let you know how it went. Your gonna have to get your azz up here and fish with me soon. You need to be brought back down to earth by the ole goose!!!
Old 05-23-2009, 08:04 PM

back down to earth huh? thats a lot of trash talk for someone who's been doing more fishing with a backpack than fly rod lately. any, back to tying poppers for the private bass pro pond tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:51 AM

Huh? Bass Pro Pond?
Old 05-24-2009, 01:54 AM

i have been to both. bad branch seems to be the best bet but no fishing. also if you parked at the church you ways along way from the fishable water. there is a trail that goes to hensley's settlement you follow it to get some altitude.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=11212

if you want some help i will go with you but, with the ph martins fork and shillalah is probaly dead. with poor fork not far behind. poor fork has alot of garbage in it and gets really low in the summer but all three has good water temps.

here is you another good articule on them both in bell county.

https://segue.middlebury.edu/view/ht...t/node/1580635

just let me know,i have rested after turkey season and i am ready for another good hike.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swipper 74 View Post
Boy, I'd like to know some info on this too. Making a trip to Kentucky Dam Village State Resort Park in July for the wife's family reunion, and I'll NEED to make time for myself and would love to do some fishing for brookies. I've dabbled with trying to get some info and have come up pretty empty handed, so any info would be appreciated! Good luck on your study by the way!

You will be far away from brook trout water at Kentucky Dam Village. If it were me I would take some bass and panfish flies and fish around Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley or some of the small lakes at LBL.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swipper 74
Boy, I'd like to know some info on this too. Making a trip to Kentucky Dam Village State Resort Park in July for the wife's family reunion, and I'll NEED to make time for myself and would love to do some fishing for brookies. I've dabbled with trying to get some info and have come up pretty empty handed, so any info would be appreciated! Good luck on your study by the way!

You will be far away from brook trout water at Kentucky Dam Village. If it were me I would take some bass and panfish flies and fish around Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley or some of the small lakes at LBL.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swipper,

No Brookies, but stocked rainbows are in Casey Creek near Cadiz. I have fished it once in the summer and did catch about 5 in an hour. Ususally I stay with the late fall through early spring during C&R to avoid the crowds. Also there are suppose to be some stocked streams on Fort Cambell nearby.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:44 PM

KY Tim and Hoosier,

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'll look into both options. Can't wait to wet a line! I'll let everyone know how I did when I return!
Old 11-22-2009, 09:15 AM

Default A little late, but I have ...

8 to 10 years ago on Parched Corn Creek, down the ridge from Chimney Top road. 4-inch brookie. Why? I thought it'd be a good idea to add a Ky brookie to my list of things done. I won't do it again. Too many other things out there to do and too little time.

Tags
brook trout, kentucky, salvelinus fontinalis