Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-19-2009, 07:45 PM

Default Looks like guns will be allowed in national parks

According to an article i saw, it looks like a new law will be passed that will allow guns in national parks.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30832809

Interestingly enough, it seems that this law is included in the new legislation that is getting all the press about imposing limits on credit card companies. Thought y'all would like to read this.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:48 PM

I've gotten dizzy watching this issue bounce back and forth. It would be interesting to see a democratically controlled congress pass this. I am in favor of it. We'll see.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:23 PM

I'm like you, this is very interesting coming from the current political landscape. I think the fact that it is in with the other piece of legislation is giving this issue legs as i don't see this passing standing on its own.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:20 PM

Talking

Thank God they are not throwing this bill out! I had lost track of it just before Bush left office and was worried about it when the Libs took over. I guide in Jackson Hole while on a break for school and do quite a bit of fishing in Yellowstone and surrounding NPs. Last year had a run in with a Griz. Didn't have to use it, but all I had was pepper spray. Now I will have a 44mag just in cas Mr. Griz decides to get too close.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:40 PM

Default Just a thought

Even IF you have gone through all the hassle to legally carry a concealed weapon, fingerprinted, paid over $200, sat in a classroom for over 8 hours (therefore giving up a day of your life), and had your name plastered all over the Memphis newspaper website...............

when was the last time you had your licensed checked, let alone your vest checked for contents?

I am more concerned with the alcohol, drugs, and criminal individuals that are allowed inside our national parks than some cocked and locked semiautomatic handgun in the hands of someone that is qualified to carry that weapon.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:47 PM

Default national parks

I haven't seen the bill, but the old regs were confusing. It looked like you could carry in a national park, but not in a national forest. I hope it is both ways.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 PM

The vote was today, it passed, Pres. should sign it soon. Check the link above for the story....
Old 05-21-2009, 10:01 AM

I've spent most of the morning researching this. Although the bill references the lands contolled by the US wildlife, the bill states that guns will be allowd on lands controlled by the National Park Service and wildlife refuges. A check of the National Park Service show the GSMN and Big South Fork as the "Parks in TN. Wildlife refues shows mostly wetland in west TN, but not the Cherokee National Forest. So It appears you can carry in the Smokys, but not Cherokee. I would sugest anyone thinking about carrrying in Cherokee get clarification before doing so.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:37 AM

Flat fly n,about 3 weeks ago on the Middle Prong of the Little river I was checked by 2 rangers,I had a daypack on and the 2 rangers rifled through my pack and they kept asking what kind of bait I was using.The reason they gave for looking in my pack was to see if I had any trout in there.I had a 4 inch Mora sheath knife on the hip belt of my pack and they kept asking if I had any more "weapons" on me.I told them I had a pocket knife,a Spyderco Caly 3 with a 3 inch blade.It was also called a weapon by the 2 rangers who had on little street shoes instead of boots on their feet.They had me lay the knife on the ground and sit down away from it while they continued to molest the contents of my pack.My rod was broken down and was leaning against a tree,when they finally left I went to get my rod and noticed the tip was lying on the ground.The next day I pulled the rod out to wipe it down and noticed the tip section was crushed.I do not know if I had stepped on it or they had,but my 20 year old Sage 4711LL was ruined.I took it in to LRO and Paula sent it to Sage to see if it could be repaired but they said they could not make a new tip and offered to send me a new rod for 125 dollars.I could not get the new rod without giving them the old one,too many memories in that rod so I turned the offer down Those two idiots turned a wonderful day into a day that will haunt me for years to come.I will never be searched by their ilk again.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:14 AM

Default Fourth Amendment Violation?

No attorney here, but that seems a clear violation of search and seizure without "probable cause" that is written in the Constitution. Believe I would be giving the park office a call and mentioning the name of my attorney for replacement of your rod and your rights.