Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-21-2009, 11:19 AM

Default My Problem

with this is stupid people that won't hesitate to whip out their pistol and shoot at a bear if the fell "threatened". It doesn't matter if they know how to use it or not. My question is do they know when to use it. It's not a petting zoo as some people apparently think. It's going to happen.The park is supposed to be a sanctuary for the animals as well as people. At least that's what I thought. Some folks should stick with Dollywood or Disneyworld.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:49 AM

Default "stupid people"

More bears are killed by "stupid people" in the park every year by feeding them garbage, throwing out food along Cades Cove, letting their cars leak out antifreeze along the road and the bears injesting that(apparently we lost a red wolf to that years ago), driving too fast in the park and hitting one along the road, and not properly hanging your food while your camping. Not to mention the hoards of "stupid people" that get out of their cars to take a picture of momma bear and her cubs, then she gets aggressive with the tourist.....

My handgun is not for bears. I held one off once before at a picnic shelter that came in during a fish fry, until we could get all the food and folks out of there. Interesting time indeed. Probably 99.9% of bears are more scared of you.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 PM

Default stupid people

My handgun is also not for bears, but for "stupid people". And you will never know if and when I am carrying it. That is the way it should be. Mine is for protection of others and myself, not property or point of view, those things are protected in other ways. Either way I plan on fishing in the mountains , so say hello ask me what fly I am using and lets enjoy the park together.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:17 PM

Well said Tire Man.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:26 PM

Default bears

Attacks are rare, but the injured folks of the 6 year old killed by a bear at the Chilhowee Recreationa area might have a different point of view. Personally, I'm more concerned about two legged animals. I carry for the same reason I wear a seat belt. I'll probably not need it, but you never know.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:35 PM

Default The "other" attacks

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0808/p03s01-ussc.html

Crime is up everywhere. Not just the national parks but state parks, national wildlife sanctuaries, and at home. If you think you can be protected everywhere by calling 911 (national dial-a-prayer), well then your just as fooled as a rainbow trout to one of my flies.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:56 AM

Red face I apologize

if I offended anyone. It was not my intent. I wasn't referring to the responsible folks on this board or most of the folks I've met on the water or in the backcountry. I realize that wildlife is endangered by all the irresponsible things done in and outside the parks by irresponsible people. I just think that it adds another means by which those same irresponsible ones can endanger all of us. My wife has a carry permit and I'm sure that she'll be packin' when we head out. We've just seen a lot of people in the frontcountry that seem to check their common sense at the park boundary. Also, I had worked the night before I posted and hadn't slept much. I guess I was a little edgy.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:11 PM

Default bears

No offfence taken. You have a legitimate concern I just lean toward concern for personal protection. I hadn't noticed your member ID. Just taking up for your buddies?
Old 05-22-2009, 08:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

Acting Director Dan Wenk issued the following statement to the field on the afternoon of Friday, May 22nd, regarding the firearms legislation passed by Congress:

“The National Park Service will follow Congress’s directive and implement the new firearms law, which states that its provisions will take effect nine months from today. For the time being, the current Reagan Administration regulations governing possession of firearms in national parks remain in place. Under the current regulation, firearms are generally prohibited, but citizens may transport unloaded and dismantled or cased firearms and carry firearms while participating in approved hunting programs and under certain other circumstances.

“As Interior prepares to implement the new law, the Department will work to understand and interpret its implications for our national parks, with public safety and the safety of our employees as our foremost consideration. Because possession of loaded weapons on national park lands will be governed by varying state firearms laws once the new law is implemented, the Department will provide guidance to the more than 20,000 professionals who manage our parks and the more than 275 million people who visit our parks each year.”
Old 05-22-2009, 09:05 PM

Cool

You fella's here in the east don't have to worry about Mr. Griz! So with all this talk about bears being shot where are the stats? Love how you guys like blowing smoke. How to know when to shoot your gun? I will tell you, when Mr. Griz starts charging at you!!!!! This should always be a last resort or course. Bears are one of God's gifts and are beautiful creatures! In the same sense they should be viewed with caution. I will feel alot safer with the 44mag on my hip just in case! You old guys should bring your martin reels and fiberglass rods and come visit me in big sky country.