Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 05-20-2009, 12:59 AM

Default fly tying materials online

If Little River Outfitters posted a comprehensive online fly tying material catalogue, you would have 100% of my fly fishing business; fly tying materials, rods, reels, and everything else! Currently, you don't have either, but if I knew I could find ANY material in one spot without having to cruise local shops and surf the web, I wouldn't shop anywhere else, and I would probably buy a few rods and other gear from you too. But it would have to be 100% comprehensive. I understand your website maintenance cost would go up significantly, but I don't have any doubt your correlating growth in sales volume would be as significant or more.

Just a thought as I browse for something that I can't find anywhere that I won't be buying from you because it isn't in your catalogue.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:57 AM

Default fly tying materials

In an effort to assist you their toll free number is 1-877-448-3474. Try this they are good people to talk to, they are a lot more than web based sales staff. Just my opinion............
Old 05-20-2009, 09:57 AM

Well there are only about ten billion different materials for tying flies, many of which cost between 3-5 bucks each, all you gotta do is call em up and ask em if they got what you want, if they don't be sure they will get it. I have never had a need that they couldn't assist me with.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 05-20-2009, 10:04 AM

In a retail environment, it's absolutely impossible to be a 100% comprehensive to all customers with an online catalog. The differences in buying methods, buyers tastes and the cost of maintaining active inventories prohibits this. That being said, there is nothing I have ever needed that LRO doesn't have on the shelf or can get it for me in a couple of days.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
If Little River Outfitters posted a comprehensive online fly tying material catalogue, you would have 100% of my fly fishing business; fly tying materials, rods, reels, and everything else! Currently, you don't have either, but if I knew I could find ANY material in one spot without having to cruise local shops and surf the web, I wouldn't shop anywhere else, and I would probably buy a few rods and other gear from you too. But it would have to be 100% comprehensive. I understand your website maintenance cost would go up significantly, but I don't have any doubt your correlating growth in sales volume would be as significant or more.

Just a thought as I browse for something that I can't find anywhere that I won't be buying from you because it isn't in your catalogue.
Unfortunately, our fly tying selection is so vast that it would be practically impossible to have it online on our catalog.

Please feel free to call us with a list of your needs and we'll be happy to fill your order that way.

Paula
Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 PM

I can vouch for the extensiveness of LRO's fly tying section. Every time I'm in the shop (unfortunately only 2-3X per year) I end up spending about $70 - $80 that I hadn't planned on spending. I always see "just one more thing" that I "need". My loving wife, God bless her, has inquired as to when Bryon and Paula are going to make me a partner. I have to remind her that there are guys on this forum who actually live within driving distance of the shop and they spend FAR more than I do. Her usual reaction is pity for their poor wives.

Paula, I wonder if it would be possible to list the types of things you have in the tying department with the toll free number? It is possible there are people who visit the catalogue and have absolutely no idea that you also have a full range of tying materials like hackle, hair, foam popper bodies, krystal flash, the list of goodies that most of us just cannot live without goes on and on. It's been my epxerience that LRO has it all but many of your online only shoppers may not even know you have a fly tying section or that they should ask.

Just food for thought.

Jeff
Old 05-20-2009, 10:04 PM

I always carry a running list of items that I "need" or would like to buy. No shop carries everything, but LR has a selection that would be the envy of about 99% of the shops I have been in. I was able to find 10 or 12 things I had been looking for high and low, and when I asked about something I wanted I was told without hesitation, we will order it for you I spent about an hour on 2 different days looking at fly tying stuff. I didn't even go upstairs, my wife counted my rods last winter and I had to buy her a new car. So now I am trying to thin out the herd a little before buying any new rods. Of course it would help if they came with tubes big enough to put 2 rods in

Last edited by flyman; 05-20-2009 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
Old 05-20-2009, 11:14 PM

I haven't bought many hackles, dubbing, etc from a catalog since I last bought an ounce of loose "Iron Blue Dun" hackles from Herter's. That "Ages Me", I know. I've even send some of the few materials I did order from catalogs back!! The Saddle hackle that would tie some many of certain size dry flies was very webby for example. I picked up some March Brown Dubbing over the weekend at LRO and it was a different shade from the batch I had been using for 10 years. Beads, Hooks, krystal flash etc run fairly uniform and I wouldn't have trouble ordering online, or over phone. Hackles, dubbing, things the might vary I like to purchase in person. If I were to order from LRO, I would rather talk to someone over the phone who ties and explain what the materials were going to be used for and allow them to pull it off the shelf for me.

Also, I carry a small spiral notebook where I keep an "rough" inventory of hooks, sizes and types of hackles, and a needs list. This allows me to look for bargains and not shop impulsively. With the prices of tying materials going up, I can't afford to do that anymore.

I've only remember being in two flyshops in West Yellowstone that were comparable to LRO's supply.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 05-22-2009, 05:10 PM

Default tying materials

Yep. Not many can offer what LRO does, and that includes the shops in West Yellowstone and the Henry's Fork area. Free phone call and free shipping.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:34 AM

MCFLY,
Do you trade cars every year after they lose that 100% "new car smell"?

I have flyfished for thirty years, and tied flies for that long. I have been in flyshops all over this country and have YET to find one better than LRO for selection. If I can't find it they order it and ship it to me FREE.

If you find something in this world that is 100% all the time let me know, I would love to see it.