Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-20-2009, 09:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default tellico fishing great

Went up to tellico tday since the Hiwassee was generating all day. Started out on the North, and caught an absolute ton of fish, one of which was a 14inch bow (Im guessing a holdover that swam upstream). I fished a dry with a dropper andcaught fish on both. I then decided to look for those eer elusive, and as far as I'm concerned almost non existant, North River Brookies. I fished the north above the Donly Cabin all the way until the sream splits. AND.. not single Brookie, in fact, very few fish at all way up stream on the North..
After my non successfull brook trout expedition I hit the main Tellico River between the Bald and North River. Switched to a double nymph rig and some split shot, and just pulled a ton of fish out of every fast run! 3 of which were over 14 inches. If you guys ge a chance you definitely need to head down that way.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:56 PM

Thanks for the update. To me, rock hopping around those rivers is a perfect way to spend a day! Especially a mid-week trip with little traffic. I just wish I could get up there more often.

Have you (or any one else) fished the Bald this spring? I fished it last fall with little success. Just curious if you also had time to make the climb or travel to Holly Flats.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:11 PM

Default North River

I'm thinking maybe the North on Sunday. Water levels good?

sb
Old 05-24-2009, 08:13 PM

Where is North river and Tellico at in relation to Maryville, TN? Is it down towards Madisonville?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:43 AM

Default North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Where is North river and Tellico at in relation to Maryville, TN? Is it down towards Madisonville?
Go east of Madisonville, to Tellico Springs. Bald and North are tribs to Tellico. Citico is up that way too.

sb
Old 05-26-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwater Ben View Post
Thanks for the update. To me, rock hopping around those rivers is a perfect way to spend a day! Especially a mid-week trip with little traffic. I just wish I could get up there more often.

Have you (or any one else) fished the Bald this spring? I fished it last fall with little success. Just curious if you also had time to make the climb or travel to Holly Flats.

Thanks!
We were up on the upper Bald a month ago, Hares Ear Nymphs early in the day, Wulffs, Yellow Sallies, Para Sulphurs in the afternoons.
If the weather holds, there will be 6 of us headed that way Friday, sitting a basecamp up on N River Rd

Grumpy
Old 05-29-2009, 11:19 AM

How far up from Bald River does the North River intersect? Or is it just the northern part of Tellico? I'm confused...

I've fished the Tellico River a couple of times per year for many years. I have gone up above the Falls on Bald River and had great success with a bead-head Tellico but I've never fished the North River unless of course that's just the name for that portion of Tellico past the waterfall. thanks in advance!
Old 05-29-2009, 01:40 PM

The town east of Madisonville is called Tellico Plains. When you go upriver from Tellico Plains, you're right next to the river. Bald River flows into the Tellico river at Bald River falls. The North River flows into the Tellico a ways up from Bald River Falls (I'm guessing 2-3 miles above the falls) so the Tellico river you see down in Tellico Plains is actually the combination of those 3 rivers plus several smaller creeks.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:29 PM

Question

But does the North River intersect the Tellico? Left or right side of the road? 2-3 miles above where the Bald River intersects?
Old 05-29-2009, 03:58 PM

North River intersects Tellico River from the left if you are coming from Tellico Plains.