Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-22-2009, 08:58 AM

Default Wading the SoHo

I'd like to make a trip to the SoHo on June 25-26 (Thu-Fri). I've only fished it twice and that convinced me I don't know the river. I'm seeking information on the better wading locations, so I don't spend my time searching instead of fishing. Is anyone willing to share some information on where to go? Anyone interested in going?
Old 05-22-2009, 10:24 AM

Wish I could, but I will be on a business trip in Iowa all that week.

Take some CDC comparaduns, Sparkleduns, and lots of splitcase nymphs (#16 & 1 with you. Probably wouldn't hurt to have plenty of stripper midges (#20 & 22) as well. Those four patterns during that time will probably be all you need.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-22-2009, 11:53 AM

I'll be watching the replies to this one. I'm going in mid June and I have never fished the river. I'll be wading too, and I have no idea where to go. I fish dry flies, so I've got to not only have a place to wade, but somewhere where the bugs are hatching as well. If I have any luck meeting those two objectives, I'll pass it along when I get back.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:25 PM

Check the locations pinned on this map.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/gis/trou..._Tailwater.pdf

Last summer I visited all 4 of these locations. The SoHo has its limitations to wading fisherman such as us. I did manage to get into some fish with the most luck coming well below the labyrinth dam. Oddly enough most of my fish came on streamers swam through deeper holes.

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 05-23-2009, 06:54 PM

There are 2 great spots to fish with easy public access. I don't really like putting them on the message boards, so if you will put your email on here I will send you an email. I have private access up there, but most of the time I go I fish these 2 spots as much as the private access. There is a chance you have already fished these, but it won't hurt to ask. Also, there is a fishing shop up there on the way to the dam, and if you go in an buy some things they will usually tell you where to go. As the above poster mentioned the split-case nymph is a must. When there is not hatches coming off or fish rising I will use these and absolutely destroy the fish. Dry flies up there are quite tricky. Fish are very selective when hatches are coming off, and there might be several different hatches at once, so be prepared with a little bit of everything on the dry fly side.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:37 PM

Burton,

I agree that many of the public access locations have very good fishing, however I am not really a fan of the weirs. Just too many people in a small area. Like most other tailwaters, if you put in the legwork you can reach many great fishing places others don't take the time to walk to. The depth of the SoHo allows for long wading distances in the upper portion. Just have to be careful of generation schedules.

Since the Flyfisherman article, I have found more fisherman in my favorite spots. Luckily I have a small piece of semi-private access that allows me an escape from the crowds at times.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-24-2009, 10:42 PM

You can purchase a map from the South Holston River fly shop for $8.00 that shows all of the roads, access points, and other info. Really worth the money !!! And it is waterproof.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:14 PM

Thanks, guys. You've been most generous with your information.

Burton, my email is gverholek@gmail.com. If you would, I'd appreciate your insight on the access locations.

The TWRA map is a good starting point. And I'll add the spots noted here. I'll also buy the waterproof map. I will be a good addition to my library.

I'll report when I return.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:44 PM

I sent you an email. It might not help, but hopefully it will.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:47 AM

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 10:25 AM..