Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 05-26-2009, 09:38 PM

Default Deep Creek Backcountry (beware rattling rhododendron)

My brother-in-law and I headed into deep creek for four days of fishing Wednesday 5/21 - Sunday 5/24. We walked into campsite 60 about 6pm on Wednesday and fished the afternoon hatch behind the campsite. The water was moving pretty fast, which made wading tough, but there were lots of yellow sallies coming off and the fish were rising to take them. Didn't get anything too big but it was a lot of fun.

On thursday we fished from campsite 60 up to where the trail comes back down off the ridge. The water was still pretty high and the wading was tough. I fished a size 12 yellow caddis most of the day and had pretty good luck, but my brother-in-law outfished me using a size 12 wolf style yellow humpy and a size 14 blue soft hackle dropper he picked up at a local fly shop. I did catch two 15" browns from one deep hole on a lead-eyed bunny streamer, but did not take my camera that day.

On Friday, we woke up and hiked from 60 up to 56.
The campsite at 56 was right on the water and very nice.

After setting up camp and getting some breakfast, we fished upstream from 56 to where the left fork of deep creek comes in. Fishing was Ok, but the fish that were taking dries were on the small side and the water was still pretty high and moving fast. The weather was perfect and I did get some good pictures.

After lunch, we headed downstream to just above campsite 57 and were going to fish back up to 56 on the afternoon hatch. Once we walked into the stream, I was tying on a fly and my brother-in-law started walking upstream to give me some room to fish. Since the water had been high all trip, we had been walking slowly upstream and holding onto overhanging rhododendrons and trees for balance. BAD IDEA! This guy really gave my brother-in-law quite a start.

Chad did not see this guy as he was moving upstream since he was watching his feet and balance in the high water, but about the time he got within 5 feet of it or so, he said he heard this rattling sound that sounded like someone shaking a container of lead weights. When he looked up, he realized what it was and started heading back down toward me fast.

We watched the snake for about 20 minutes. Eventually he slid out of the bush, into the water and swam across the river to a log in the water. He climbed out and sat there for 10 minutes or so and then took off into the woods.

This was definitely a first for us. We saw a couple of garter snakes and a couple of northern water snakes on this trip, but I have never heard of a rattler climbing a rhododendron over a river. In fact, I always heard that rattlers did not like the sound of the running water and would only come to the river during times of extreme drought. Needless to say, we spent the rest of the weekend very wary of overhanging rhododendron bushes.

On saturday, we hiked up above 54 and started fishing. Fishing was ok for a little while, but it turns out we were trailing two guys who were about 30 minutes to an hour ahead of us. We did manage to get into a few brookies, but turned around once we realized there were people ahead of us. We headed back downstream and fished the afternoon hatch around the camp site and had a great time. The water was noticeably down and the wading was much easier. Any yellow dry fly worked well and we fished until it was just about pitch dark.

On Sunday, we hiked back down to just below 59 and started fishing. We had some rain on Saturday night and there was a slight stain to the water. We both started with dry/dropper combinations but eventually switched over to only dry flies as the action heated up. Most of the fish I caught were browns. About 3:30 we headed back up to camp to make dinner

All in all, it was really a great trip and a great way to spend memorial day weekend. The campsites were great and a lot less crowded than we thought it was going to be and the fishing was pretty good down low around bumgardner bend. We will definitely be back, but will watch for the rattling rhododendron.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:26 PM

Perfection
Old 05-26-2009, 10:27 PM

Great Pics. Sounds like an excellent trip!!! ...... I hate getting startled by snakes
Old 05-26-2009, 10:50 PM

Great report whuggins! The water definetly looks higher than the few times I fished that area last summer/fall. Nice looking fish, bad looking snake

Neal
Old 05-27-2009, 05:38 AM

nice stuff...glad ya'll had a good time
Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 AM

Thumbs up

Man, that is just not right. That snake gives me the creeps! I will definitely be keeping my eyes peeled now! Except for the snake, it sounds like you had an excellent trip.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:39 AM

can't tell you how many times I have grabbed the rhoddies to keep from falling or losing balance, never thought much about it, will now though, great pics.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 05-27-2009, 06:23 PM

Uhhh, you gonna eat all that?
Old 05-28-2009, 03:41 PM

Oh Man, When I have been in the backcountry and moving through the Rhododendrons I have always kept a close eye on the ground because I have seen copper heads a few times. Always made me nervous. The funny thing is that I never looked up. Know I have to watch round the bottom of the Rhododendrons and in the branches.

I will be a nervous reck the next time moving through the Rhododendrons. LOL
Old 05-28-2009, 05:30 PM

Default Snakes in Trees

While in Hazel Creek this past weekend I ran into a somewhat similar situation, although it was not as worrisome as a rattler...

It really wasn't so bad until he decided he needed a nap...in my tent....

After his nap he decided he needed some lunch, so he climbed into another tree and disappeared into a knot hole. When he did, out popped 6 mice from other knot holes as he slithered his way around the inside of the hollowed out tree. Of course all 6 mice decided to take up residence under my tent until the snake was gone...

Fun stuff!

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."