Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-27-2009, 09:05 AM

Default SoHo river levels

If the river comes up around a foot at the SoHo gaging station (wherever that is), how much will the water come up at say Emmett Bridge?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:10 PM

Is Emmett Bridge the one near Riverview Rd.? A foot increase at the gaging station would be a good increase from what I understand anywhere on the river. On certain spots their wouldn't be a real problem with wading in a foot increase until you get on down away from the dam where the holes get deeper. On past Riverview a couple of miles I fish through the Burp as they call it up there. Which is just a 1 hour pulse of generation that actually is only 30 minutes when timed. In some parts wading is tricky at others you will only notice the nastiness it flushes down. Just really depends on the spot you are fishing. I would recommend call the South Holston Fly Shop and ask Rod what 1 foot of elevation does. Those guys are great about helping.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:06 PM

I picked the wrong spot. Emmett is where the road crosses the river just below the dam. TWRA says there is an access off Weaver Pike further down. On the Caney if you get way down the river the rise in water is not as bad as closer to the dam. Maybe Weaver Pike would be farther enough down. I've been watching the release schedule and it seems they are running water all afternoon. I hope they stop that by mid June, but for all I know that is normal for June. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:59 PM

You will not likely fish above the weir anyway. You should really be good to go if they are running 1. If they are running 2 then you have to watch out. One generator gets to big spring in about 3 and half hours. That should help you gauge everywhere else.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:46 PM

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 10:24 AM..
Old 05-28-2009, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the info. We only have two days on the river and I am trying to learn what I can before we get there. I like your site, and I have added it to my favorites list. Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:34 PM

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 10:25 AM..
Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 PM

Wading the SoHo with gens on is a death wish. Don't do it and always pay attention. Even if they arent' "supposed" to gen. TVA is a tricky bunch. Just be careful and have fun.

STU