Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM

Default Memorial Weekend at Cherokee Trophy Section:

I took the wife and dog to Cherokee over the Memorial Day Weekend to try my hand at the Trophy Section. Since this was going to be my birthday present I was going to be allowed two days on the water. We stayed at a really nice little cabinet overlooking the river right below where the Trophy Section starts.
This was my first time visiting the Cherokee Trophy Section and I had a pretty big learning curve to get through. I will list what worked for me in hopes that it might make it a little easier for any other new comers. There were a lot of people fishing and they all had their own preferred techniques that were all different from anything I had done in the past.
First, I have always been taught to fish upstream but quickly learned that the water was pretty deep in sections and had some pretty good currents not to mention all the “slim” on the rocks in the river, so fishing downstream as you walk works a lot better. This was a pretty hard lesson for me to learn but after falling 5 or 6 times I finally accepted the reality of the situation. I now have the brightest, most colorful “Moon Bow” on by back end that I will reframe from adding any picture off.
Out of all the fishing techniques that I saw what worked for me were using a large white streamer, orange Streamer and some Salmon egg patterns in the real early morning at the larger pools. All I would do was cast over and upstream off the larger pools and let the streamer slowly come over and across. It seemed to me that I had my best success using a lot of weight with the streamers. You need to be bouncing the streamer off the bottom most of the time to get the best strikes.
After the first hour or two of the morning the trout seemed not be as interested in the streamers and I would move to double bead head nymphs. Again I would use weights and cast to the banks without any indicators and just high stick it as the nymphs moved over and across. I caught a whole lot of smaller trout this way and still caught some nice ones as well. With this technique I was able to continue to catch trout all day.
The next time I think I would consider using wader boots with spikes. I started the trip using 5X tippet but I think I would use 3X in the mornings with the streamers and 4X during the day with the Beads. I lost some really nice trout that just snapped my line within a few seconds. Just long enough to get a good look at how big they were and they were gone.
As a side note all of my larger trout were Rainbows but I did catch some browns. I was also able to hook one of the “Golden Trout” but did not land it. I never did see one of the Brook trout when I was fishing.
We had a really great time and here are some pictures of some of the trout I landed.

Caught this one on the first morning with a streamer.

Caught on a double bead head nymph and was in some pretty shallow water

I was sitting on the bank tying on a new fly and these guys walked across the river. They saw me but did not seem to mind at all.

This one was caught on a bead and had some unique colors.

Caught this one the next morning on a Salmon egg.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:07 AM

Glad you had a good time over there! I really enjoy fishing the trophy section but it does take some work to figure out what the fish are feeding on for that particular day...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-28-2009, 11:35 AM

Great elk picture!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:58 AM

Nice photos and report I need to get over there and fish one day.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:09 PM

Great pics. I have never fished Cherokee. What are the license requirements? Is there a lot of water access.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:51 PM

$20 yearly plus $7 each day you go. The stretch is 2 miles or so. Can get crowded but you can stay in one hole like on a tailwater.