Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-29-2009, 11:13 PM

Default Some Clinch Pics

Some pictures from today. The sulfurs are doing fine, and the trout are fat and happy.

This little guy (about 12") had fresh bite marks all the way around him. Makes me wonder what was after him. Another brown possibly or maybe a pike that came upstream from Melton Hill

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-30-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
What's CWF?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
A "Honeyhole"!

I KNEW it! Many of the posts on this forum are suspiciously inspecific. Someone needs to teach me the secret handshake...

--Matt
Old 05-30-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Some pictures from today. The sulfurs are doing fine, and the trout are fat and happy.

This little guy (about 12") had fresh bite marks all the way around him. Makes me wonder what was after him. Another brown possibly or maybe a pike that came upstream from Melton Hill
Striper or another brown, very very unlikely it was a pike. I do not think many remain in Melton Hill anymore, but the stripers have definitely made their way into the CLinch.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:54 AM

I spoke with a guy at TWRA this week and he let on that there are many stripers that have moved up in to the tailwater to do some damage on the trout. There may big some trout on trout action; but, I feel that it would probably be more likely from the stripers...

Travis,
Great layout of your picture with the rod and fly!

As for the Perch; it was the first I have caught on the Clinch with a fly rod. I was dropping a streamer close to a mud bank and bringing it out. Kind of like bass fishing...He just rolled over like a catfish and let me reel him in...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-30-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
The Clinch is full of perch and has been since the beginning of time. Yum Yum.
I think of 'em as yankee fish. They eat 'em up there like we do catfish and crappie.

sb
Old 05-30-2009, 08:49 PM

I'm feelin it too waterwolf, the crowd doesn't need to get any worse. We were up today below PO and I don't remember seeing that many people on the water there in a while. Nice day though.....
Old 05-30-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
I'm feelin it too waterwolf, the crowd doesn't need to get any worse. We were up today below PO and I don't remember seeing that many people on the water there in a while. Nice day though.....
Give it another month, and when the sulfurs go away so will a lot of the crowds. I always look forward to the dog days of summer when midges are the name of the game. Lots of people don't like to fish midges, and the crowds typically decline when that happens. Keep in mind too how beautiful of a day it was and this is probably the first chance many have had to fish the Clinch in many weeks.

You know, too often I complain about crowds on the Clinch, and my remedy for that is to go on Fridays and weekday evenings. I know that isn't an option for many people. However, people who know how to fish can catch fish in a crowd, that is probably why I avoid them. In my experience, it isn't the most pleasurable experience to be shoulder to shoulder with others, but there is the occasion when you can learn from the person next to you.

Another option if you don't like the crowds is to try going door-to-door asking for wade access. I know some guys who have used this to their advantage on the Watauga.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-30-2009, 10:49 PM

I fished the Clinch the other week for the first time. Lots of people, but I still had a great time. Easy river to catch fish on if you ask me. Had a blast catching stockers all day long. I agree about going when others don't though. It is much more fun.

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 05-31-2009 at 09:25 AM..
Old 05-30-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
I was out today as well, and it was absurd. Sad how one week ago there wasn't a soul on the river, and a few reports slip out and the world descends on the place. Hope the fish don't suffer too bad from the loose lips...
Old 05-30-2009, 11:58 PM

I was there too early in the morning. It was the first chance I had to get out in a few weeks. It was pretty crowded. I need to do some negotiating with my work over schedules so I can get out during the week... That or take the canoe out and float to a non-crowded spot.

--Matt

Tags
2009, may 27, wednesday