Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-31-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
That or take the canoe out and float to a non-crowded spot.

--Matt
Good luck with that, after what I saw yesterday there is not much that would be considered uncrowded. The word is definitely out now, it was calm and peaceful all spring, then the chatter started last weekend and now the place is an absolute zoo.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:24 AM

Waterwolf,

I haven't really noticed much internet chatter, but I don't typically check the meat fisherman sites. LRO, SEFF, IA, and CFF are the forums I either read or participate in, and this is the only place I have seen anything regarding the Clinch.

It was terribly crowded this time last year too. I have a picture somewhere, if I can find it, showing one of my favorite runs with probably 6 other people fishing it. And that was on a Friday afternoon. This is a run that once the sulfur hatch was over I could go to and catch fish in complete solitude.

I am not pointing fingers here, but just reminding you that you were also involved in the chatter on this site last weekend in the minor debate you and another member got into. In the heat of the moment you uncharacteristically gave a series of reports that touted the fish as "overly aggressive and they paid the price for their aggressiveness".

We asked for a trophy fishery when we pushed for the slot limit. I too had visions of having a trophy fishery all to myself, however that was unrealistic. A trophy fishery is going to draw people from all around. Plus the recent generation schedules have everybody wanting to scratch the itch to get out. I think this weekend was the perfect storm for crowds on the Clinch.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler

Last edited by ChemEAngler; 05-31-2009 at 10:11 AM..
Old 05-31-2009, 09:30 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post

You know, too often I complain about crowds on the Clinch, and my remedy for that is to go on Fridays and weekday evenings. I know that isn't an option for many people. However, people who know how to fish can catch fish in a crowd, that is probably why I avoid them. In my experience, it isn't the most pleasurable experience to be shoulder to shoulder with others, but there is the occasion when you can learn from the person next to you.
- Right on Travis!

I post on here to share my love of fly fishing with others and to learn from others. I enjoy reading the posts and learning.

Life is too short to live it alone and not share it with others!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
You (cheme) lar, and others highlight the particulars, and it is perfectly up to you, but realize that those decisions can seriously effect not only yours but other peoples day on the river.

Let people go figure stuff out for themselves, if they have the desire they can go investigate and learn firsthand whether things are worth their time or not.
Waterwolf,
I have to tell you this is something I wrestle with consistently. When I was starting out, guys like John Emert, Will Littlejohn, Scott, and even you helped me tremendously. Granted that was one-on-one assistance and here (as well as blogs) many others, including lurkers, can see the information. However, I feel that I should pass on the information I gain, but maybe I can find a better way to do it.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-01-2009, 06:48 AM

We all got help as we started. I learned most of what I know on my own from trial and error. Heck when I started fishing the Clinch there was no church, no jail, or anywhere at 61 to park, other then the bridge. The islands were like a foreign country, and at that time Peach Orchard didn't exist as well, there was no weir dam as well.

I was 10 years old so I got the sympathy of the handful of folks who fished at that time, some who are now passed on.

If people wish to go fish, they can look at the schedules, they know how to get to the river, and they can observe what is going on when they get there and decide what to use and how to use it. It will make them better anglers over their careers if they don't glean all the pertinent info from a forum or blog, and make those who value some sense of solitude much happier.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:27 AM

It's a two edged sword guys. Without the anglers using the water there would be no stocking, no access for those drift boats, no weir dams etc. Why is face to face fishing knowledge and paid for knowledge (guides) ok and knowledge gained for the internet not ok? By the way, most of what I have gained in 29 years of flyfishing was self taught. I learned to cast from a book. There were virutally no flyfishers on the Caney, and no one knew what a scud on the Caney was until I started giving talks about it at the TU meetings and MIddle Tennessee Flyfishers. I use to wonder why there were so few flyfishers on the Caney. Last time I went a year ago. Everyone was flyfishing and there was a flotilla of drift boats . Careful what you wish for.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:52 AM

Exclamation

OK, since I started this topic; I shall clarify my intentions of posting on LRO.

I think it is ridiculous to think the World of 'solitude in fly fishing is coming to an end' due to a few posts on the internet. Travis hit is right when he took the time to offer his opinion on how the past few weeks have been a good opportunity for people to get out for the first time. Most people will start to slack off and do something else once it gets warm.

Either way; it is not my river to dictate who can and cannot fish. I do wish I owned most of the land along the river to preserve it for our children to enjoy in the future.

waterwolf,
You best not worry about the foot traffic on the river! There is a storm brewing for us bro! It is called development! Once the massive development starts on the old Vanoy Farm and the last few farms start selling off on down stream - we will remember the days when we thought it was crowded.

Are you a member of any conservation groups? I think you would be a great voice in Trout Unlimited or Sierra...! You are very passionate and vocal and that is good at times!

I give many props to those in TU and other groups that have helped make the Clinch a better/cleaner place to fish. I am just starting my time as an advocate and active participant.

Folks, we have to start watching these county planning committees. There are a lot of good old boy transactions that put our precious resources in peril.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 AM

This is a very tough subject, and Madison you and Cheme bring up some good points, especially when you take into consideration the need for folks to help standup and fight for our rights or for the sanctity of the river.

Having guided on the Clinch and Holston for a pretty good while, I am partly to blame. Especially for the Holston, and certainly am not innocent when it comes to passing on info, after working in a fly shop for 10 years. Maybe it is the monetary exchange which made it less painful, who knows, but anymore when I do trout fish I hate dealing with crowds.

I don't mind fishing around others, and the bigger issue lies with alot of anglers, especially on the Clinch lack the manners needed to fish around others. Those on here that know me, know I am quick to make my point with a viscious toungue when someone violates river rules. But it is still a hassle.

The only plus side to the development issues on the Clinch for now, is that many farms on the East Side of the river are blocked from development by the rail road track easement issue, and the other farms are held by landowner who probably won't sell ever. There are many of the same farms with conservation easement terms now, which renders them undevelopable as well.

I am a member of the Nature Conservancy, TU, and many other conservation organizations. However, I am not a good voice, far to pointed in the way I handle issues which I feel strongly about. I am a good pit bull, and good rallier, but not a good spokesperson.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:29 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post

I am a member of the Nature Conservancy, TU, and many other conservation organizations. However, I am not a good voice, far to pointed in the way I handle issues which I feel strongly about. I am a good pit bull, and good rallier, but not a good spokesperson.
Hey, everyone has their strong points! I am very similar; but, I have tried to step back a bit and use self enlightenment to learn to enjoy life more. I try to worry about the things I need to change and that I can change. Then, I try to support and help larger things that I cannot change solely as an individual.

I admire your passion and I respect your opinions! One thing I like about fly fishing is we seem to be a select group that share a passion for the river and fish. I try to embrace that passion and help others in our group by what I know and I keep my 'ears'-eyes peeled back for great information from seasoned fisherman such as you and many others on this board.

As for fishing manners; most people do not know them that well. I think it basically equates to people just being kind and considerate to others. However, there are people who do not realize they are doing things wrong or bothering others. I find that smacking them in the face does not help. It seems best to offer up smiles and kindness to others to help them learn about our sport and not deter them.

Anyway, lets just keep helping one another and sharing information. Some people live far off and want to fish the Clinch when their stream is off. We and in turn do the same on occasion. They need safety pointers and help too...

Please keep educating us with your knowledge! As for your technique - that is your choice and only your choice bro!

Take it easy!
Shawn Madison

Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 PM

Hi Silvercreek,

I was there. I know who you are. I remember when you figured out they were there and told us about the scuds in the Caney Fork at a TU meeting in Nashville. I can still see that slide show. I remember thinking, what the heck is a scud? How long ago was that, 25 years or more? Have you and the guys been on your trip to ET yet?

Byron

Tags
2009, may 27, wednesday