Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 06-02-2009, 08:30 PM

Question Will It Float? Saltwater line...

I've had some conflicting information on SA Mastery Redfish line.
Some say it will float in fresh water....others say not so good.
I need a line that won't turn into Linguini in Florida, that will also do for tossing bass bugs in the freshwater. Trying to save as much money as possible and dual task with one line.

Thanks to all your responses to my first Saltwater line inquiry
Old 06-07-2009, 12:06 AM

Thumbs up Float Line

Plunker,
From my experience this is what I use for what you are talking about. I use 8wt WF float line by a fairly new company called Superfly. It is a mid-high quality line a reasonable price. I bought the "premium" line at $27.99 a great deal, the "premium" has an extra coating on the exterior skin of the line and it allows it to shoot easier imho, and worth every penny. Dont know if LRO carries it but give them a look. I use this line for all situations. I just used it today for trout on the Caney Fork River, I use to flip big poppers and flies for bass and stripers, and I used it down in Florida on the gulf(PCB/Destin area) just last summer. 90+ degree heat and the line shot out and flip my salt flies just as easily as a #16 ZM on the rivers at home.
Hope this helps, just my 2 cents.

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 06-07-2009, 07:56 PM

Thumbs up Thanks BP (Mark)

LRO doesn't have it but I'll look around...I just need a stiffy for a couple of hard days in the bay, same trip last year was Brutal, had to resort to Spinning tackleeeek after flailing around some overcooked Linguini....at least I didn't resort to "bait fishing" A guy's gotta draw the line somewhere
Old 06-07-2009, 11:10 PM

ONe of the cool things about saltwater is that the boys I know that are die hard fly-guys are still willing to use a spinning setup. The unpredictable weather and wind at the coast is the reason. I have to admit that I have had to get to the point that I am willing to say it is OK to cast bait and plugs, but it is! Of course it ain't no good if it is just cuz your flyline is a wet noodle!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"