Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-07-2009, 08:32 AM

See any trout taking midges or anything else off the surface?
Old 06-07-2009, 08:46 AM

I couldn't identify anything, but it did look like they were taking midges because I saw a lot of rises and nothing on the surface. Most of the feeding was sipping things just below or on the surface. I did see a hatch of some very tiny white flies and I finally saw a hatch of some brown looking flies (dark hendrickson or march browns?), but they were so fast that I couldn't catch one if I wanted to. I saw one land on the surface and disappear. I assumed that it had dived below the surface, but it may have flown off (not really up on my aquatic insects). I did get a good reaction when I fished my Dark Hendrickson, but nothing like I normally would have fishing a midge dropper.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:21 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpopper View Post
Those are some very wise words. I will stay far away from the strippers!
Thanks for the laugh bro!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-07-2009, 10:12 AM

I was on the Caney Freeway, or should I say parking lot yesterday. The key was getting an area to fish. We were floating in a boat and we could not fish for trying to avoid the waders and canoers, kayakers, bass boats and even a center console boat. At one point we anchored and tried to fish a favorite area. After 3 quick fish, we had a dozen people casting the same area we were fishing. We looked upstream and saw at least 30 or so people and downstream and saw the same. Then add the boats. Saw a lot of stringers going out yesterday and several dead trout floating downcurrent. Mostly smaller browns and rainbows with some bluegills also.

Floated for about 6 hours, did not catch huge numbers (20 or so) but did catch nice fish, mostly in the 14-16, with 5 big ones over that. All fought well but looked a little thin. A friend fished it Wednesday and said they pumped the stomachs of 4 fish and did not find a single bug. That is concerning. If the Caney is going to continue to get the kind of pressure we saw yesterday, there are going to have to be some regulation changes and stiffer enforcement or that river is going to really suffer. Also the boat traffic is bad, we were almost swamped by a bass boat and we were in a boat and underway so I can imagine what a kayak or canoe thought when the guy passed. Someone is going to get run over and hurt.

Be safe and keep an eye out on the Caney.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:39 AM

My favorite is the boaters that insist on going back and forth in the wading areas. Out of the entire river, you choose an area that people are wading to float down and boat back up in, over and over?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:47 AM

BRF, please be careful how you use the term you. I do not do that. We either anchor or beach and get out and wade. Not all boater operators are insensitive to waders. Many of us (I know many that feel the same as I do) wade and float and many times only wade. Be careful with the broad brush.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:57 AM

Sure, I didn't say all boaters do it. I was complaining about the few that do. Nothing against boaters, just wish they would go through the wading areas once and be done with it, instead of going back and forth like some do.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbrown View Post
BRF, please be careful how you use the term you. I do not do that. We either anchor or beach and get out and wade. Not all boater operators are insensitive to waders. Many of us (I know many that feel the same as I do) wade and float and many times only wade. Be careful with the broad brush.
AGREED! I try to be a very cordial boater. I get out of my boat and will push it around fellas in certain spots to respect their hole.

Sometimes I have no where to go on the shoal crossings and there may only be one spot to shoot them to cross. I usually hold back in hopes that a wader will see my predicament and let me quietly drift through the hole. I don't want his spot; just need to get through...

Remember fellas; fish spook, but you have to be completely inept in your skills to think someone can clear a spot. However, heavy consistent traffic will drive them to school and range for deeper - quieter areas.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-07-2009, 02:19 PM

Have any of you fish below Congo bottoms? The fish are away from the crowds.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:30 PM

Not familiar with Congo Bottoms...Would you mind explaining? (I can always use a new spot)