Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-07-2009, 05:51 PM

Default Clinch River

After a slow start, a friend and I had a fair day on the river. I was dissapointed that not many sulphurs at all came off. A dry with a split case dropper worked pretty well. I believe I had three in the slot including one that wrapped around the only log in the river and got off, but I was able to get a good look at him. After the mass of people left the water around lunch, the river was fairly peaceful. Fish appeared to get on midges late in the day as we were leaving.

mstone
Old 06-18-2009, 05:22 PM

You know, it stinks that this hatch will move upriver above "the jail" into private long before it peters out. Drifting is going to be the only option from now on to get into these yellow bugs. Sure would be nice to get into some of that hard to find leased property upriver to see what's going on for us wade fishers.

4X
Old 06-18-2009, 08:38 PM

Well, from my latest observations. The water temperature around the jail is too warm for the larger fish. Also, I noticed there was little hatch of anything this week. However; I hooked in to a couple of nice fish, but my overall numbers are down.

If you are fishing at the jail; you best walk the 1.4 miles to the upper shoals around the private boat launch. That is where the last set of deep shoals are and I saw a few nice trout running in there...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 PM

I have always wanted to do that, but I thought you would have to cross private property in order to do that. Would it be legal to just walk up the bank, or is there some other way to get up there?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:10 PM

I don't think your going to see too much temp. fluctuation on a tailrace in a mile or so's distance. Just a thought.
But, people are piling up in the area where the new walking trail from the church ends at the river. I mean stacked up! So, you're probably better off walking up just to get away from the crowds.
On a side note: Do want to do something funny? Rig a realistic (split-case, etc.) nymph as a top nymph and put a #8-#10 hot-wire copper john on as a dropper and fish it throughout these long riffles down there.
You'd be surprised how many big fish you'll find holding right at the front of these riffles with that big bottom tumbling fly. I taped a 22" 'bow on my last outing using a bright red copper john. But, I'm catching 80% on the split-case but none of those 17" plus fish I'm gettin' on the "wire".

4X
Old 06-18-2009, 10:56 PM

I did notice a big difference in the hatch from the jail area, to upstream about a mile and a half, from one weekend to the next. By now I would not think there are many left anywhere. Just me...
Old 06-18-2009, 11:24 PM

I am going to offend, but here goes...

The hatch isn't moving upstream, that is completely false. Grab a handful of moss in front of the jail, then go up to Miller's Island and do the same. Numbers of nymphs in each handful will be dang near equal. This logic is the same which was used a few weeks back concerning the high flows destroying the hatch, once again that was wrong as well as this.

The water temp at the jail was 48 degrees Sunday, 49 degrees on Monday afternoon, and 49 degrees on Tuesday. Sure with the monsoons the last couple of days and an increase in runoff it will alter the temp slightly, but water temp and the Clinch is not an issue, it has never in the last 24 years I have fished the river ever exceeded 59 degrees which occurred during lake turnover.

Walking the tracks only leads you to trespassing, which is illegal, causes bad blood, and can actually get you killed on a couple of farms. Do not do it, do not advocate it, and if you are going to cross private ground in that part of the world you best have permission or suffer the consequences. If you want private access get off your butt and go ask! There is only one lease and it isn't that hard to get on if you try rather then whine about it. I have 3 other farms I fish off of, which I acquired from a simple request to the landowner. And BTW there are better fish this year from the top of Lewallen Island down to 61 bridge then anywhere else in the river.

One more thing on the sulfurs, the hatch is winding down for the year, get over it, it happens every year about this time. Do you all expect it to last year round?
Old 06-19-2009, 10:07 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I am going to offend, but here goes...
Looks like the only person that is offended may be you...

As for my points; I did not say there was any difference in the hatch from spot to spot. I understand Entomology well enough to not debrief everyone on the hatch variances.

Well, from my latest observations. The water temperature around the jail is too warm for the larger fish. - I read on my thermometer 62 degrees Wed. at noon around the grassy area of the Church. The sun was very hot and we had some previous rains. Also, I noticed there was little hatch of anything this week. However; I hooked in to a couple of nice fish, but my overall numbers are down. - I was only insinuating that the hatch was tailing off...

If you are fishing at the jail; you best walk the 1.4 miles to the upper shoals around the private boat launch. -
You can easily do this in the river and not trespass. The depth of the pools at the church do not compare in relation to the pools above the island. Additionally, those pools remain deep and cold during slack water. That is where the last set of deep shoals are and I saw a few nice trout running in there...

As for giving away secrets; I do not let things like that bother me. This forum is a popular forum, but you can notice topics go for a day or two with minimal views. I hope my information will help some fellow members enjoy our sport. The river is not mine nor anyone else's... Hopefully, by sharing information and helping others fish; we can alleviate some of the congestion down in the Church area...

If you see me on the river; say hello and let us learn from each other and make an effort at finding a new friend instead of earning a new enemy!

Here is a picture of my boat and you cannot miss me... I am 6'4" and 235 lbs. and usually pushing this boat around the river somewhere.

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-19-2009, 10:48 AM

There are no secrets with regards to the Clinch, don't think I ever insinuated that in my post. I was simply responding to false information which was posted. I did not name any names or quote any posts in my response.

I am not out to make any enemies either, but I will correct when the need arises, if that applies to you, then so be it, but it is nothing personal.

I would highly caution promoting folks near or on the property where the private boat ramp is located above the island. Not a good idea, and the same goes for the farm which spans the east side of the river, basically from the bridge to the top of the island. It is wadeable to the top, and then gets quite deep in a hurry. Most folks don't have the stomach to fish the deep flat water anyway, which is pretty much all that lays between there and Coldwater.

Misinformation does not do anyone any favors, and will not help them out on the river.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:52 AM

I was not sure about the hatch "moving" upstream. but I have fished the Clinch long enough to know that the sulphurs had to be about done for the year. Oh well, time to change flies and move on. That's part of the game. Won't get to fish there for few weeks, leaving tommorrow for some saltwater action. Will dig out the midge box when I get back.

mstone