Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-19-2009, 11:19 AM

Thanks Madison, I'd like to fish with you sometime. I like your style
Old 06-19-2009, 03:16 PM

Old 06-19-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Walking the tracks only leads you to trespassing, which is illegal, causes bad blood, and can actually get you killed on a couple of farms. Do not do it, do not advocate it, and if you are going to cross private ground in that part of the world you best have permission or suffer the consequences.
We're some mean SOB's up here in Clinton
Old 06-19-2009, 05:16 PM

Hey Madisonboats,
Were you fishing down at the church wednesday morning? I was fishing above you and I think we chatted for a minute based on your picture in your avitor.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:31 AM

ajh10567,
Yes, I was the oaf pushing the boat

Stop me again next time and you are welcome to ride on up the river with me....
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-22-2009, 08:45 AM

Madison, this may be a little off topic, but could you tell me a little about your boat? I'd eventually like to get something that I can fish in the tailwaters and also take in the lakes occasionally to hunt for bass/carp, kind of a do-it-all boat. Your boat looks like to may fit the bill.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! Dave
Old 06-22-2009, 10:00 AM

CinciVol,
No problem bud...

My boat is a 1962 FeatherCraft 14' Semi-V to flat bottom.

I purchased it in decent shape at a fair price. You will see these on Craigslist all the time for about $1,000 with trailer and motor.

I have a '64 Johnson 5.5 that I welded a rock guard around the prop and I completely rebuilt the engine and repainted it.

As for the boat;
  • Sanded it completely down and used an etching agent sprayed from a 5 gallon utility sprayer to prep for paint. I rolled on a metal primer and filled all the divots/dents with bondo. Also, I beefed up the front keel with about 2 inches of bondo tapered along the profile.
  • Painted it black, blue, and striped silver. I put about 3-4 coats on since it was so easy to spray (had to thin about 30%).
  • Replaced the transom board and glassed it for longer duty.
  • Added 40# trolling motor with 21' 6 gauge jumper cables as wiring to the deep cycle mounted in the bow.
  • Added two pvc pipes for mounting my two big lots umbrellas for rain and heat protection. I have to snake a bungee around them so they do not blow out and it gives them flexibility.
  • Added an anchor davit to the nose for quick and easy anchoring. I welded a walmart $8 davit to some stock steel and mounted it to the top nose handle.
  • Just added two swivel seats and posts. Had to create a top plate and bottom plate of glassed wood for each since the aluminum was so thin. Also, I welded a bracket with legs that mounted to the pedestals and extends to the floor to some shoes I made. These are glassed and bondoed to the floor.
  • Stripped and repainted the trailer too. New bearings, races, etc...Use LED Lighting for long lasting use and durability.
You should be able to get a boat similar to this and set it up like this for around $1,500.

*The key is balancing your weight out in the boat and to minimize your draft. I did add some flotation foam under the three-seat channels inside the boat to help reduce the draft. I can take it through about 2" of water, but I have to get out and push it along. The only shoal on the Clinch that gets me is Johnson Shoals when it is way down and coming up the river by the jail in a few spots.

Email me and I can help you with the specifics and send you pictures.

Hope I was helpful bud!
SM

Old 06-22-2009, 01:09 PM

Thanks Shawn. Email sent.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:54 PM

Shawn,

I wouldn't have guessed that your boat was a 60's model, not that I know much about boats, but you have done an excellent restoration job. The price can't be beat either considering the cost of a new boat. Thanks for sharing.

Neal
Old 06-22-2009, 07:41 PM

Exclamation

Thanks fellas! This setup works well for me and my constraints. Other setups work well for others.

I will try and add some detail and photos later to help guide anyone that is looking for a similiar set up. Learn from my mistakes...

Anyway, I design boats and boat components. I have done that for the past few years and worked for one of the large wakeboard boat manufacturers and the largest boat conglomerate in the World. I handled the International stuff so it was more fun and we had more liberty in our designs than the Domestic Market.

I am planning on releasing my own drift boat design towards the end of the year. I really think it will wow some people and maybe earn me a few orders. Plus, I want to significantly lower the costs and make it more affordable without cutting corners.

There are some patent issues that are holding me up right now. I have a few patents out already and they are expensive to support. This boat would probably have 3-4 patents involved and maybe one utility patent. So, it gets difficult for me to front on the money for production and patent costs - even though I usually handle most of the paperwork.

Keep an eye out for Madison Boats....I think it will suit many with something they want, value in using, and very affordable....