Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-08-2009, 08:38 AM

Default Clinch Weir Pool 6/7

Just wondering if anyone else was trying their luck in the weir pool last night.

The water was like glass and it was giving me some trouble.

If you don't wanna talk about it on the forum, shoot me an email Cody_Edrington @ yahoo.com
Old 06-08-2009, 08:46 PM

I believe they had the kids free fish this weekend, which means a lot of pressure up and down the river, especially in the weir pool area. Fishing should be slow for a short period.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:49 AM

The Kids Day was at Miller's Island Ramp. So, not much pressure from it.

The water in that area is still pretty cool and I have not been seeing a high degree of hatch until very late in the day. So, you will have to use a very long leader with excellent tying mechanics. Also, go with a small midge and focus on trying different depths in the drift being mindful of flow and water depth. Try and get the midge at their eye level or above. Dragging is no good unless you are scudding...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-09-2009, 10:32 AM

Shawn, i wondered about using a longer leader, I have trouble making good casts with leader and tippet any longer than 12 feet.

Another thing I considered is that maybe I shouldn't be using any sort of strike indicator when the water is that still up there.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:04 PM

General rule to abide by above the weir. Don't go on still, sunny days, it is a waste of time for the most part. It doesn't matter how long your leader is, just wading will spook fish. If you can't catch the water still up a little find somewhere else to spend your time.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:06 PM

Default Weir pool

Waterwolf is right. Above the weir is a waste of time under any condition. I have been wasting time there since 1986. Of course I have the body for it....big and bouyant!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:30 PM

Never said it was a waste of time overall, just a waste of time on super bright, super still days with very low water like would be there currently.

I can navigate it fairly well, but it is more from stupidity and lack of sense then anything else when it comes to getting wet.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:33 AM

Grannyknot
I would not consider any fishing a waste of time

I find that area to be a challenge like others have suggested; but, it will bring out the best of your skills in catching fish.

I like the lower shoal just above the walking bridge. It is always busy though. You can try throwing in to the holding pool below the dam too. There are some nice fish in there. A little fella from my church pulled out a 5lb brown a few months ago there...

Old 06-10-2009, 05:32 PM

Default Lesson from the Vikings

I guess you guys have never heard of why the Vikings named the islands Greeneland and Iceland? Hmmm.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:15 PM

Flat Fly n,
Kind of think I understand your point; but, that theory is very arguable among historians.

Anyway, maybe I am just repeating obvious things to one or two guys on this website that most fishermen already know...