Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 06-11-2009, 12:21 AM

Default orvis helios

Looking for opinions and input on the orvis helios.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:02 PM

Orvis has a lot of reviews of it on their site, I believe...just be certain to get it through LRO
Old 06-14-2009, 12:35 AM

Nice rods, solid company, very good customer service. Which one are you thinking about getting? The flex rating really makes a difference so be sure and try a couple before you buy them if you can.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:34 AM

Mike Bone, has a 5 weight and told me it was one of the best 5 weights he has ever had. Which is a major step up for Orvis if true, seeing how every other rod which came out of them was not worthy as a tomato stake.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:56 PM

I can't say that I have had a lot of different rods TLS 3 wt Mid, T3 5 wt tip and Helios 5wt mid. (Orvis bias ?! maybe). Also, have a Redington Wayfarer 9wt. Way back when, I had Cortland rod as well but I won't count that one. I know some don't care for Orvis rods but I think the TLS and Helios are both great products. I did not like the T3, though that may be more the fact it is a tip flex instead of mid which suits me better.

Out of my experiences, I can honestly say I love the Helios. I can't explain it well other than to say that it just feels right in my hand and it seems on the bigger waters I can really launch the line further so than that the other rods that I have had.

As mentioned above, the customer service is a great back up as well.

I don't think you'd be dissapointed. Also if anything ever really went wrong with it and it had to be replaced, they are no longer making them so they'd probably upgrade you to the Ion (though I don't think much of the Ion's reel seats).
Old 06-15-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Mike Bone, has a 5 weight and told me it was one of the best 5 weights he has ever had. Which is a major step up for Orvis if true, seeing how every other rod which came out of them was not worthy as a tomato stake.

There goes your invitation to the company Christmas party and picnic

Last edited by flyman; 06-15-2009 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
Old 06-15-2009, 06:11 PM

Default Don't count on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I don't think you'd be dissapointed. Also if anything ever really went wrong with it and it had to be replaced, they are no longer making them so they'd probably upgrade you to the Ion (though I don't think much of the Ion's reel seats).
Unfortunately, I have a story for that. It will really depend on when you break it, and how bad it is. In 1992 I purchased an Orvis 8'6" 5wt Henry's Fork (Rocky Mountain Series) outfit for $350 (of which the rod was $250). That was a tremendous amount of money for me at the time, but it was a great rod. It came with a 25 year warranty. I loved it. It was my first real flyrod and I grew to love the way it casted.

Flash forward ten years to 2002. I crushed the rod (stupidity, more than anything else). I was crushed, as well. I sent the rod to Orvis and unfortunately there was nothing they could do with it. For their part they sent me a new rod. Unfortunately, in the ten years since I had purchased my Henry's Fork, they were no longer making the same rod, had gone to a flex rating system and in general raised their prices on all their models. They sent me a $250 rod that had a "similar" flex rating to the Henry's Fork. There really wasn't much else they could do. I hate the rod. Its not Orvis' fault, they held up their end of the bargain.

Moral: Orvis is constantly evolving their product lines (maybe more so than most other companies). If they need to replace your rod in the future it will be with the closest to the same price (at that time) as the original, not the next model up...

In other words, if you like it, buy it. Just don't plan on an exact replacement (or an upgrade) in the future.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."