Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 06-10-2009, 02:20 PM

Default Fishing report-Lower Tourist Count- still the Price of gas?

Front Wednesday fishing report-"I donít think there is any doubt there are less visitors here than there should be. This is the time when young families go on vacation. That is the usual demographic we see here in June and July. I donít think many of them are here. We are very slow at the shop. Last week was a disaster. But May was our second best month. Go figure"

Just did the family "sit on top of each other at the campground" over Memorial Day weekend at Blue Licks Campground in Ky. The Tent camping area which is usually packed over the holiday weekend was almost empty on Friday and Sat and was empty on Sunday night! The Camper-Rv area was full but the lack of tent campers very noticeable. (about as cheap a holiday trip as you can get also.) I had to run to Charleston SC to help my son paint his house. I paid $2.15 when I left, a week or so later it's up to $2.59 in Lexington. I think the price of gas alone was a favor last summer, this summer with the overall economic situation any increase in gas (even if it doesn't get as high as last summer) is going hurt individuals more. Every time I mention fishing Little River near Huskey Gap trail, I get a quick reminder from my banker about the possible cost of gas heading to Yellowstone in August. I'm finding out that my new 3wt throws a beetle to Bluegills as well as a trout . At least, it could stop raining so I could chase Smallies.

Randall Sale
the Ky(Bluegill)bum
Old 06-10-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytroutbum View Post
Every time I mention fishing Little River near Huskey Gap trail, I get a quick reminder from my banker about the possible cost of gas heading to Yellowstone in August.
Randall, Charlie and I went up there today and the fishing is just terrible (awful, lousy and down right miserable).
You are much better off chasing Bluegills and waiting for Yellowstone...

I have my tickets booked to Maine in September (thankfully before they went up due to gas prices [jet fuel prices]). I'm still hoping to do some fishing while I'm there, this time...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 06-13-2009, 09:25 AM

Wink

PeteCz, Sorry to hear about the fishing up there. I keep telling people that there "ain't no fish up thar". I hear the fishing is Cherokee, Gatlinburg and Townsend is actually a lot better.
Check out this site. http://sharpei.home.bresnan.net/brookieland_pt2.html.Check out the 07 trip reports also. This area is about 10 miles east of Cooke City in the Beartooth Mountains on the Wyo/ Mont line. I'll usually spend a lot more time up there than in the park.You hardly ever see anyone fishing up there out of sight of the Hwy. This is off the Beartooth Hwy, Charles Krault called it one of the most beautiful drives in the US
These folks have the exact opposite problem of the Smokies. Brookies everywhere. They starve out the Goldens, Cutts and Grayling. I've seen 9-10 inch Brookies in the trickles between the lakes. In Wyo you could take 20 Brookies under 8 inches and they ENCOURAGE it up there. We fish the lakes and release most large fish, then catch "breakfast Brookies" on the walk out.
The price of gas in Maysville, Ky Friday was $2.69, up 10 cents.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum