Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-11-2009, 03:15 PM

Angry Wet your hands!!!!!!!!!

Rowing through 61 shoals yesterday with high sun and low water, I was able to see a ridiculous number of fish as I passed by that showed clear handling marks. I have seen numerous fish each day that shows the same black marks on their bodies from where they have been dry handed.

Take 5 miliseconds and wet your hands, there is no reason to be lazy and it is worth the extra time if you plan on releasing the fish.

This is the first year I have ever seen on the Clinch where it has been a problem, maybe it is the quality of anglers who now fish the river, people who overall don't have a clue how to properly handle a fish.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:26 PM

When I was a kid (still am, just younger) I used to dry hand fish because I couldn't stand the added sliminess. But now, whenever I dry hand a fish absentmindedly, I immediately realize it because of how nasty it feels without a wet hand.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:40 PM

I agree, I have seen this a lot on the river and more commonly on these message boards where people think it is necessary to show a picture of every fish that they caught. (This is not everyone, but I am sure people know what I am talking about.) When I catch a fish I do my best to not bring the fish out of the water at all. I don't feel the need to bring it up to show it to everyone around. I catch and release my fish under water and if needed I stick my arm under water to mark my fish so I can tell how long it is. Ex. I have a freckle that is 16.5" from the tip of my finger to it. This helps if I get curious of the length and I still don't hurt the fish.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:32 PM

Seems to me that any meat fisherman is gonna keep all their catch, I am sure that is wrong but we flyfisherman carry bias, therefore it would seem that is flyfisherman that are doing this? As much as this seems surprising you gotta think, how many times do you see guys flyfishing the GSNP wearing white t-shirts...my point being not everybody knows things that we assume is basic

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 06-11-2009, 09:51 PM

I will always take a picture of decent fish. I do make certain that I face them upstream and hold them until they catch their breath and swin away. I just recently learned about wetting my hands via this board, so keep the reminders going. I forget little things like that.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
I will always take a picture of decent fish. I do make certain that I face them upstream and hold them until they catch their breath and swin away. I just recently learned about wetting my hands via this board, so keep the reminders going. I forget little things like that.
Another problem you will have if you take a picture of a nice fish especially lying next to your rod is not being able to stretch your fish out when you tell everyone what you caught. It is a lot easier to say you caught a 20" Bow without that picture of your 14" Bow.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:40 PM

Alot of the fish I saw yesterday were in and around the jail area, which is dominated by fly fisherman. Pictures of 12" fish out of the clinch don't prove jack didley, they are a dime a dozen, sporting fish of that size is undue stress which could be avoided.

Also, laying fish on rocks, grass, or anything else to get a picture is utterly irresponsible as well.

If a trout is caught and fought properly in water which isn't warm it should need no reviving, they should bolt as soon as they are freed. However, if fought with limp rods and soft touches it can take much longer. Learn the strengths of your tippet and how much pressure is just enough and it will mean more fish to survive upon release.

I guess people just either don't care anymore, or are so green they just don't get it, but in the past this has never been an issue.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:53 PM

Yeah, I have a 4wt and it is a bit soft. Takes a lot of effort to get a 12inch fish in. I am going to try and get another 6wt for the tailwaters for my next birthday.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:43 PM

Once again, thanks for the wise words Mr Wolf.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Yeah, I have a 4wt and it is a bit soft. Takes a lot of effort to get a 12inch fish in. I am going to try and get another 6wt for the tailwaters for my next birthday.
A 4 wt is fine, I fish a 4 wt everytime, as do many others I know. Rod weight doesn't play a huge role in landing fish. One of the worst rods for fighting fish I have ever used was a Sage 790 RPLXi, it was pretty much worthless.