Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-12-2009, 08:13 AM

I read this and decided to edit my post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Is it not interesting how menial and trivial certain issues in life have become! I mean; look how hard it can be at times to enjoy life! Look how divisive Man has made the World.

I just wish things in the World would change and people would change! I am not talking about arguing access rights. I am implying that life has become a journey of fights and arguments.

I used to have a very bad temper and would let it get the best of me. It felt better at times; but, I always looked back in regret that I could have handled things better.

My new intentions in this World are to try and leave it better in some way and to make a positive impact on others.

I understand property owner's reasons too. They may have been robbed, vandalized, or be worried about liability.

I think we do need to work as a group of sportsmen, to lobby and promote positive relations with land owners and the general public. In doing this; we will gain more respect, more results, and more fishing opportunities.

That is my nice lesson for today

Last edited by buzzmcmanus; 06-12-2009 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: got up on wrong side of bed
Old 06-12-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
A 4 wt is fine, I fish a 4 wt everytime, as do many others I know. Rod weight doesn't play a huge role in landing fish. One of the worst rods for fighting fish I have ever used was a Sage 790 RPLXi, it was pretty much worthless.
Yeah, just a little small for the Caney. I should have gone 5wt. I wanted a rod that would work well in the Smokys and on the Caney and Elk, but a 4wt is just a touch light on the tailwaters for my taste. Besides, you can never have too many fly rods
Old 06-12-2009, 08:43 AM

& hold your breath the entire time the fish is out of the water, i bet you put it back in quicker

Grumpy
Old 06-12-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
& hold your breath the entire time the fish is out of the water, i bet you put it back in quicker

Grumpy

some people just never cease to amaze...
Old 06-12-2009, 10:43 AM

You also have to realize that some people out there just don't care. Just as some people don't like to clean their gear before changing tailwaters and crimping down barbs. I don't know if it is being stubborn or stupid, but ignorance is rapidly losing credibility as an excuse. They are simple acts that can help to prolong the resource we all enjoy.

I have wet my hands for years now, and I actually I find it easier to grip a fish with wet hands. Any picture I take with the fish in my hands is with a wet hand. You can't honestly believe that taking pictures of fish is any more detrimental on the health than stomach pumping, fishing with trebles, or even deep hooking while bait fishing.

95% of the time I net my fish first and leave the fish in the ghost net, submerged, while I turn on the camera and get it set. Once I have it set, I let my camera dangle from the lanyard and cradle the fish with a wet hand. Total time that the fish is out of the water for a pic is less than 5 seconds. And they are always released successfully.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler

Last edited by ChemEAngler; 06-12-2009 at 01:58 PM..
Old 06-12-2009, 12:50 PM

There is a fine line, between being cautious and being insanely cautious. Stomach pumping is not necessary on our tailwaters. It is either midges or midges in their stomachs, or sulfur nymphs this time of year. Just not that complicated and thus no reason to pump fish ever. Bait fishing is bait fishing with very high mortality rates and nets with cloth net bags, wet or not, do alot of damage all by themselves, maybe as much as dry handing fish.

You can get as crazy as you wish, but simply wetting ones hands is easy and everyone can do it, and it really would help out.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:05 PM

After I catch them, I like to see how far I can throw them. Is that bad?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballs03 View Post
After I catch them, I like to see how far I can throw them. Is that bad?
If you pitch them like a horseshoe you'll probably be ok, But if you try a Nolan Ryan on 'em, that may cause a bit of stress...

Now you might get away with a Kent Tekulve delivery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI-April 5 1980
It wasn't just Willie Stargell who emerged from last year's World Series as a world champion and a folk hero. Consider Kent Tekulve and his Magic Sidearm. His appearances were late-inning cameos, wonderful and improbable walk-ons by a guy who didn't look as if he could do it. He relieved in five of the seven Series games and he saved three of the four Pirate victories, allowing only one single from 16 batters in the last two games.

Says Pittsburgh Manager Chuck Tanner, "I keep reminding Tekulve that he's ugly. I mean ugly. But, I swear, when he comes ambling out there in the ninth inning, he looks just like Paul Newman to me."
Thanks for the diversion!!

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 06-12-2009, 04:50 PM

Personally, I like the end over end toss with the fish landing head first back into the drink smooth as the Arc of a Diver

Name the singer for bonus points.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:19 PM

C'mon pineman, everyone knows, or should know Stevie Winwood.