Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-13-2009, 10:46 PM

Default GSMNP Report for week of 6/11

Been fishing the area since Monday. Thought I would relay our success.

Fished the Trophy Section in Cherokee Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning. Fished for 4 hours Monday and saw 1 other person fishing along about a mile of the lower portion. Caught a huge Bow on a wollybugger about 9 am Tuesday. Sorry no pics, but it was 26 inches long. Caught 4 other Bows in the 14 inch range. Never could get the Goldens to take a fly but I did see one rise a couple of times for something.

Fished Greenbrier and the upper LR the rest of the week, caught several Bows and browns in the 8 inch range. Mornings belonged to nymphs but the evenings, especially after 8pm, belonged to the dry's. Saw some great Sulphur Dun hatches on the MPLP in the late evenings. Most caught on a #18 Sulphur.

Had a unusual experience at Greenbrier, was coming out to my vehicle right at dark, fishing about 1 mile up, as I approached the gravel road from the stream, a bear came running across the road right at me from about 40 yards. Full loping run and we would have collided had I not yelled at him. Needless to say he was as startled as I and reared up then charted a new course between myself and my vehicle. As he edged into the woods he stopped and watched me walk to my vehicle and get in. I think the bear was just trying to get across the road quickly and was preoccupied with my vehicle and did not see me until I made some noise. Had he been much closer, I probably would have ruined a good pair of waders.

Weather was great, the water is up a little, but not bad and the guys at LRO were most hospitable as always. If anyone gets a chance soon, don't miss out on some good evening fishing.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukee View Post
Fished the Trophy Section in Cherokee Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning. Fished for 4 hours Monday and saw 1 other person fishing along about a mile of the lower portion. Caught a huge Bow on a wollybugger about 9 am Tuesday. Sorry no pics, but it was 26 inches long. Caught 4 other Bows in the 14 inch range. Never could get the Goldens to take a fly but I did see one rise a couple of times for something.
Only one other person, that is surprising. I figured it would have been crawling with people.

Sure is a shame to not have a pic of that 26" bow. That is quite the fish.

Thanks for the report, I need to get back over that way sometime.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-14-2009, 08:26 AM

Yeah, that 26" fish would be a beauty to see! My biggest fish this year was only a 22" and I was super thrilled to get that boy in...
to choose, to respond, to change.”