Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-16-2009, 12:55 PM

Default 2nd visit/hatch chart question

Let me start off my saying we absolutely loved our first visit to the park. It’s truly a National Treasure.
We’ll be making our 2nd visit to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park the 2nd week of September and I’m already thinking about what flies to tie for our three days of fishing. After doing a little research I found this hatch chart and I was wondering what the experts thought of its recommendations for September. We are staying about 8 miles east of Gatlinburg and we mostly fished the Middle Prong up the Greenbrier entrance last March. We’re thinking about fishing Greenbrier entrance and Cosby Creek for this trip. While my wife is not a real big fan of long hikes, she’s not afraid to get out of the truck either. However, for this short trip we wouldn’t mind limiting our hikes to the stream to about a mile round trip. How is fishing in Cosby Creek and the Greenbrier entrance in September? What do you think of this hatch chart? Would we be better off fishing elsewhere? Sorry for all the newbie questions; thanks for any advice.
http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/smoky%20mountain%20hatch%20charts.htm
-D

Last edited by Drath; 06-16-2009 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: add link
Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 PM

Looking at the copyright at the bottom of the chart. The name definitely says its in order.

Depending on the summer conditions- Sept and Oct usually are the driest months in the Park. If I were not heading west till Mid Sept. I'd probably fish Elkmont area or Tremont area from the entrance road up a ways (depending on water level).You are looking more for the most water and coolest water. Trout at this time are usually in their opportunistic feeding modes. I used to spend time in the Greenbrair area in spring and fall and feel that it does not fish as well in fall as other parts of park due to low water. Still the most beautiful though!

I usually cut my fly box selections way back after the July 4th. My late Sept-Oct. fly box has mainly terrestrials- Lots Beetles (AK Best's winged one is my fav.), green weenies, ants, yellow jackets. I also carry a weighted beetle pattern to fish wet. (very effective) I'd carry an assortment of #14-16 Elk hair caddis, small stimies, and a large#10 Elk Hair Caddis with dirty orange body. I carry a few para. adams, sulfurs but hardly use them.

I think finding good water conditions and a good fly presentation are more important then than the pattern.

If you are travelling from the east you can get around the G'burg traffic on weekends by taking streets up along the top of the hill. Get a map and check it out. During the week or day its not a problem. Early September is a favorite time of mine in the park. The kids have gone back to school and I'HAVENT!

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 06-16-2009, 07:24 PM

You found Hugh Hartsell's site (Mr. Hartsell is a frequent LRO message boarder)...I think the info you discover on his website is pretty much as good as the info gets...
Old 06-16-2009, 09:15 PM

Default Cosby Creek in September

Drath,
Let me just add one thing to what the others have said about fishing the streams that you mentioned at that time of the year. I frequently mention to people in the early part of the season about dropping down a mile or so outside of the Park when fishing Cosby Creek and this time of the year is also a good time to find some of the biggest fish that you will see all season. Somewhere in the vicinity of where Indian Camp Creek and Cosby Creek come together is a good place to start. Fish back upstream for some great fishing with the same flies that were mentioned by others and you may hook into a real nice fish. You'll probably have the stream all to yourself. Good luck.
Hugh
Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 PM

Hugh
Would those fish in Cosby outside of the park be wild fish or stockers?
Old 06-17-2009, 03:38 AM

Default Cosby Creek in September

Lee,
Most of the fish that you would see for a couple of miles outside of the Park would be wild fish. There might be an occasional stocked fish in the mix. The farther downstream that you fished, the more apt that the fish would be stocked trout. I have noticed for the last 6-8 years that the stream is becoming more overgrown along the sides because farming practices have just about ceased in that area. This enclosure with more shade being produced will cause lower water temps and make for better wild trout production downstream from the Park as time moves along. There is some good fishing through this area with very nice fish.
Hugh
Old 06-18-2009, 09:16 AM

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I have one more question then Iíll leave everyone alone Ďtill early September when I come back begging for last minute advice.
If we were to fish outside the park, in the area Hugh mentioned (Indian Camp /Cosby Creek area), will we need a special license? We only fished inside the park last year with a regular non-resident license but I remember hearing about a special license ($11.00 per day I believe) to fish certain areas outside the park. I donít want to break any rules and ignorance is no excuse. Thanks again, canít wait to get there.

-D
Old 06-18-2009, 07:31 PM

Default outside the Park

Drath,
If you fish outside of the Park you will need an All Species License. That is a Trout Stamp.
Hugh