Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 06-16-2009, 07:18 PM

Default Cdc

Flyman:

Do you have any tips to share regarding the use of CDC, both as full feathers and oiler puffs. I'm trying to figure this CDC thing out. It seems to be a lot of different methods out there. Do you tie with CDC at all?

Thanks for any info you can share with us.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 PM

For some reason I have not used CDC before. I'm a deer hair, foam, and heavily hackled dry fly kind of guy when it comes to keeping my fly a float. CDC is great to use on very small flies were foam, deer hair, and dense hackle is impossible to use.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:42 PM

Tarheel,

It seem to be a preference among cdc users to use it on small flies. I was actually interested in tying with it for larger flies as well. I'm wondering if the feather won't get matted and thereby become a gooey mess.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:40 PM

Hey Hans,
Yes I do use it but mostly for emergers, nymphs, wet flies, and midges. I don't use it very much for dry flies other than a couple of patterns that mostly rely on other materials to float the fly, like a CDC and Elk, To me it's just too much trouble to keep it dry and floating. Like you said after a couple of fish it gets slimed up and will require cleaning, drying, and treating with some form of desiccant. I am using it more and more on my wet flies and nymphs because I really like the movement it adds to the fly. I don't know if you have ever seen this article from Flyfisherman magazine before but it's a very good introduction to CDC. It was an eye opener for me the first time I read it.
http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwcdc/

Last edited by flyman; 06-17-2009 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: dangspellcheckermanI'mtellingyouwhatamIgonnado
Old 06-17-2009, 12:09 AM

I've tied some caddis (#14 and 16) with CDC wings, subbing three puffs instead of elk or deer hair for Landlocks in Maine. The locals were doing well fishing them in the film. I caught a couple Landlocks on one. I'm going to use some puffs as a looped wing with PMD emergers 16-18's for YNP streams next August. I've had some real issues with refusals with PMD emerger patterns in the past.

You can also dubb the CDC using the split thread for a "hackle", I've never done it though.
The post by flyman is excellent. Hans W. is a gifted tier and teacher.

personal opinion- I'm going to use my CDC patterns in a few selective situations with very finicky fish or flat glassy water. It may be overkill in the Smokies with a fairly swift current,(not much time to study fly) or lots of smaller fish where you would have to constantly clean and dry the fly.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:43 PM

Flyman and Kytroutbum, thanks to both of you. I did check that website out and I can of suspected that it is best to use it for emergers, and wets, rather than for duns. Thanks again
Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 PM

comparadun sulphur, cdc and elk caddis
Old 06-17-2009, 11:12 PM

All about CDC for tuck black caddis hatch and SoHo for sulfurs ? I just call it duck bottom not cul de canard....not much for the french

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 06-18-2009, 12:14 AM

I picked up some Western Green Drake Duns (#10's) tied with cdc spun for hackle thinking I was going to get to Wyo earlier a couple years ago than I did. The flies look nice, hopefully I'll be able to toss them on the Lamar and Slough some this August.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 PM

Hans, I use cdc like a soft hackle collar on a wire body, fuzzy thorax and a gold bead. That patten has done OK for me on the tailwaters. Monk