Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-04-2009, 04:19 PM

Default Somebody has been holding back some info!

Seagull ask me to put this on the wedsite. Seems somebody was out Memorial Day making a memory! 29# Striper! I will let him fill in the details, especially how it was caught on a #20 Parachute Adams. Female, of course! I was out floating the Holston with Dragline in FishCats when I got this phone call......."guess what I just landed".

Old 06-04-2009, 06:08 PM

Wow!!! What a fish...that is awesome...I've got to figure out how to catch striper on the fly. Looks like a lot of fun...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 PM

That is one heck of a fish! Of course he is the master at catching those things. I'll tell you this, it would look a lot bigger if I were holding it assuming I could.

Byron
Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 PM

I've caught plenty of them on a fly, but that one could eat most of them That's really a nice fish!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:42 AM

This monster was quite a battle. I hooked him right against the far lock wall (in the back of the picture) and he immediately ran right at the lock doors. I heard Peacher say “What’s he going to do, knock on the door?” At this point he was into the backing, and then performed a high speed U-turn and ran straight at the boat. I don’t think I have ever reeled that fast in my life, and luckily kept the line tight. He then hung a left and ran out towards the middle of the river. When I finally got him to come up to the surface and we saw him for the first time, what a rush! Finally got his head in the net, and we both lifted him in the boat. After we got him weighed, photographed, and revived, I looked down and there was blood on the top of my left foot, and I saw where 4 of his dorsal spines had gotten me while I was getting him on the boga grip. Didn’t even feel it at the time, maybe I had a little adrenalin going. Big fish make you bleed! Any way this fish is my new personal best, edging out the 26 pounder I landed last summer. Of course then I had to call Flat Fly’n and brag a little.
If you catch a large striper, please take plenty of time to revive the fish before you release it. We have even held their mouths opened and moved around with the trolling motor. I have learned over the years that when they start biting down on your thumb, they are usually ready to go.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 AM

Smile

Very nice fish Dean, glad to see one of the big ones stayed on long enough for a good picture. If you let peacher hold them they would look even bigger
Old 06-05-2009, 08:07 AM

Nice one Dean, and if I was there we could have passed it off for a 50 lb fish.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:59 PM

That is insane! I bet that is a blast to catch on a fly rod!

Good info. on the catch and release. I need to find someone to teach me how to catch one of those suckers...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 PM

DEAN WHAT A FISH!!!!
When i catch one it's by accident. I'm going to pursue them seriously this year. I'll see you arround ...
jose
Old 06-05-2009, 10:16 PM

Fish like that keep me from getting in the water here. Northern MN never had fish the size of my leg, unless you count the odd musky lake.

Nice going, Dean. You're a heck of a generous person, and it's good to see that karma get repaid a bit.