Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 06-22-2009, 07:38 AM

Default Line to Leader Loop connector.

My line braided loop connector started causing me to have problems with it the other day. What I ended up doing was using a nail knot to connect my orvis braided leader to my line. 'the knot is a little bigger this way but I am trying not to bring the leader through the eyes anyway. Any reason I can't stay this connection rout and bypass adding a braided loop the line. I now only have the leader to tippet loop.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:44 AM

I used to do the same thing when I used braided leaders and never had a problem.I always coated the knot with a little pliobond.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:26 AM

I don't use braided leaders but it should work fine. It should also improve accuracy and casting with the braided loop gone. Personally I would not ever have a braided loop on any of my rigs, but that is just me.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:03 AM

Go to marinews.com and check out the flyfishing knots. Some one else posted this site. It is a good one for knots of all types.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
Go to marinews.com and check out the flyfishing knots. Some one else posted this site. It is a good one for knots of all types.

I am ok on knots. I was just wondering if this is an ok way to join leader to tippet. Thanks anyway.

Thanks to the others for your advice also. I have noticed accuracy is a little better...some times spot on and I am used to being a small amount off. I might stick with this method.

Last edited by uceddiec; 06-22-2009 at 01:57 PM..
Old 06-22-2009, 10:05 PM

uceddic, I like Lefty's whipped loop for fly line to leader. Strong, easy and smooth,
Old 06-23-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monktrout View Post
uceddic, I like Lefty's whipped loop for fly line to leader. Strong, easy and smooth,
http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/lkknots/

I will give that a try. I like the nail knot but I am not sure I like that knot getting caught up in the eye.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:02 AM

uceddiec, I've tried the nail knot, albright, braided loops, and probably a plastic connector in my early fly fishing days. The whipped loop passes nicely threough the guides. Eventually your knot will be in the guides. If you like the nail knot, and many people do, you might coat it in pliobond to smooth it out. I can't do a decent needle knot, which looks great for this connection.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monktrout View Post
uceddiec, I've tried the nail knot, albright, braided loops, and probably a plastic connector in my early fly fishing days. The whipped loop passes nicely threough the guides. Eventually your knot will be in the guides. If you like the nail knot, and many people do, you might coat it in pliobond to smooth it out. I can't do a decent needle knot, which looks great for this connection.
I am going to try the lefty way this weekend. Thanks for the advice and good luck on the river.