Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 06-08-2009, 06:49 PM

Default Fly Management

Hello everyone,

I have the honor to be having shoulder surgery this week with 3 to 6 months till I get back to "normal."

Here is my question, everytime I get ready to fly fish, I usually add several flys to my collection. So now the things are everywhere and I couldn't tell you what I have. I have a few small sized boxes but it really is getting out of control.

How do you organize your flys?

I do have a cabin reserved for the first weekend of November, I don't care what the Doc says, so if you see a one shouldered fisherman hung up in a tree, could you help a brother out?

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 06-08-2009, 08:21 PM

I have a streamer/terrestrial box, a dry box for tail waters, a dry box for the Smoky's, a midge/nymph box, a dropper rig box with tailwater and mountain rigs. I would like to add a saltwater box and a warm water box.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:20 PM

Do you need my addy to mail flies to

Grumpy
Old 06-08-2009, 11:32 PM

Sometimes ya just gotta throw away the trashy flies you just never will use! Unless they still catch fish which case disregard the above! Boxes everywhere!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 06-09-2009, 08:31 AM

I have two large divided boxes (10"x7") that have 17 compartments each (1 large, 16 normal) that I separate all of my flies into (type and color - but you could get more and go with size as well). I carry just a few small fly boxes and every so often (usually about 4-6 times out) I empty my fly boxes back into the the large boxes (and throw out the flies that are too damaged to reuse).

Whne I go fishing I make sure I look through my fly boxes to makes sure I have at least 2 of evey kind that I think I will need and by looking at the large boxes first I can make sure that I have thought of everything.

Sometimes I take the large boxes with me in case there is a fly I need to have, once I'm on the water. But this past year I have even broke myself of that. If I don't have it in my small box, too bad....

It works for me because the fish I chase have simple requirements. Tailwater fisheries would require larger carry boxes, but the idea could still work: 1) Organize and categorize your flies into a large collection and 2) only take the flies you need. 3) From time to time empty your carry fly boxes back into the larger collection and start over.

I even took it a step farther to capture the flies I need to always tie and have on hand:

Anal, I know, but I'm able to stay organized...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 06-09-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCz View Post
I have two large divided boxes (10"x7") that have 17 compartments each (1 large, 16 normal) that I separate all of my flies into (type and color - but you could get more and go with size as well). I carry just a few small fly boxes and every so often (usually about 4-6 times out) I empty my fly boxes back into the the large boxes (and throw out the flies that are too damaged to reuse).

Whne I go fishing I make sure I look through my fly boxes to makes sure I have at least 2 of evey kind that I think I will need and by looking at the large boxes first I can make sure that I have thought of everything.

Sometimes I take the large boxes with me in case there is a fly I need to have, once I'm on the water. But this past year I have even broke myself of that. If I don't have it in my small box, too bad....

It works for me because the fish I chase have simple requirements. Tailwater fisheries would require larger carry boxes, but the idea could still work: 1) Organize and categorize your flies into a large collection and 2) only take the flies you need. 3) From time to time empty your carry fly boxes back into the larger collection and start over.

I even took it a step farther to capture the flies I need to always tie and have on hand:

Anal, I know, but I'm able to stay organized...

mmm....that helped me out as well....thanks for sharing it with us all.

Mark
Old 06-09-2009, 06:01 PM

Default fly management

Cardfly, put some of you unused flys on your favorite hat. It will serve 2 purposes,1 throw off nosey fisherman and 2 weight your hat down in the wind.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Do you need my addy to mail flies to

Grumpy
Nope. I like my sytem and don't have any extras. Now,if you want to share what your system is, I'm sure I can learn somethin'. Like grandpa used to say: "Don't criticize, unless you have a better way of doin' it"
Old 06-16-2009, 04:35 PM

Well Grumpy, good news and bad news,

I had the shoulder surgery Thursday and the doc says it's better than he thought so maybe 4 to 6 weeks of PT to get going again. How often do you hear that from a doctor?

So I will be keeping my flies although they will now be very organized. I'll send them to you if anything else happens.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 06-18-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfly View Post
Well Grumpy, good news and bad news,
You're right, glad it worked out in your favor though. Having been through numerous surgeries, do what the Doc tells ya

Grumpy