Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-20-2009, 06:32 PM

Default Dad's First Fly Fishing Trip

I was planning on taking dad to the South Holston for a weekend long camping trip for Father's Day. However, the generation schedule did not look favorable, so we opted to fish this morning. The only other time dad had a fly rod in his hand was at Big Ridge State Park, and that was only for about 15 minutes. I spent quite a bit of time trying to help him with his casting, and once he got over the fear of breaking the rod he started getting the hang of it. His casting motion was so slow and careful since he was afraid that he couldn't put much oomph behind the cast. I rigged him up and put him in a run that typically is loaded with easy fish, and walked below him to do some coaching and a little fishing of my own.

On my second cast I hooked into this guy, and dad got all excited.

He could see the fish swimming around and rising, but just could not get the distance on his cast. Eventually he managed to get enough distance and the correct drift and hooked up with his first fly caught trout.

A little while later he caught his second, and he ended the day with about half a dozen. I told him that those were pretty good results for a first timer on the Clinch.

Dad kept wanting to see a brown trout, and I managed to bring this guy to hand just before leaving. He was just as excited, you would have thought he had caught it himself.

As we were leaving, he was telling me that this is something that he could get into. I hope he does, it was a very enjoyable day, and I look forward to many more with him and hopefully someday my son.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-20-2009, 06:45 PM

Sounds like you have a convert Travis. I have enjoyed the last two years getting two of my brothers and nephews into flyfishing for trout. My nephew Aaron caught a nice brown on the upper shoals on the Holston at Nances Ferry during the first week of April this year. I was fishing the next set of shoals downstream from him when I saw him walking down the bank towards me looking all proud. He said he caught a nice one, the broad smile on his face as I took his pic with that brown was enough to show that he is now hooked. Another one bites the dust

Neal
Old 06-20-2009, 07:58 PM

Looks like a good start. Good for you both. Hope you guys have a lot of flyfishing trips together.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:09 PM

That's Good Stuff Nice fish.I wish you both good luck on future trips.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:41 PM

good stuff Travis!

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 06-21-2009, 12:23 AM

Nice! Wish my father was around to try it! Take him every chance you get!

Never seen a silver headed bear before lol
Old 06-21-2009, 08:37 AM

Thumbs up

Travis,
Many props to you bro! Your post was very enjoyable to read!

It was nice meeting you yesterday and I wanted to let you know that you are more than welcome to borrow my boat anytime. Just give me a shout a little ahead of time so that I can get it ready...

Keep up the goodness in life and it will return to you many times over...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-21-2009, 01:31 PM

Very nicely colored 'bow!
Good job on getting Dad out. Getting beginners actually catching fish is the key to inheriting new fishing partners. Good job.

4X
Old 06-21-2009, 10:41 PM

Shawn,

It was nice meeting you yesterday as well. I told my dad when I saw the blue boad coming downstream that I thought I knew that guy. I may have to take you up on that offer sometime soon. Do Friday afternoons work for you?

Sure was a crowded day on the water yesterday, so I may avoid Saturdays until football season starts.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-22-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Shawn, Do Friday afternoons work for you?

Sure was a crowded day on the water yesterday, so I may avoid Saturdays until football season starts.
Yes, Friday's work great! Plus, any other day I can get on the water. I try and get a couple hours in early or late evening when I am pressed for time. But, the late generation schedule has been screwing me lately.

As for the crowds; it really does not bother me. I listen to relaxing music most of the time when I fish. It helps me go to a completely different place and focus on my technique and presentation. I would not recommend this to most; since it inhibits your ability to notice rising water, etc. But, I know the Clinch well enough to risk it....

I am always open to learning new techniques and tips. Most of my skills have come from someone else and from trial and error...

But, you are welcome to take me boat out without me anytime if I cannot go... I have two trailers for drifting...
to choose, to respond, to change.”