Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 06-24-2009, 01:32 PM

Default Enloe Creek Trail advice

Starting on some research and trip planning for a week in the backcountry. Hoping someone could provide helpful information.

Plan to hike into the Enloe Creek Trail off Straight Fork Road. Does anyone have any information about leaving a car and parking availability at this trail head.

I have never made it to the parking section for this trailhead and not sure what to expect. I have been to the Cherekee Campground on the northern most part of Big Cove Road. Is it hard to find the Enloe Creek Trail head and parking section from the Campground.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:31 PM

Hopefully, Craig Lancaster, aka mtnman will respond to this post. I remember him posting on a trip that he and one of his comrades took to Raven Fork and Enloe Creek last summer. You may want to do a search and you should be able to bring up his post.

Neal
Old 06-24-2009, 02:35 PM

Mac,

I drove over that way last month to scout out the parking situation. I plan to make it over there in September or October.

Pass the hatchery, the pavement soon ends, keep on going. The trail head is very easy to find and the parking is right along Straight Fork Rd. I don't really think that road gets all that much traffic. I don't think I would have a problem leaving a vehicle there but that was just my first impression.

Please let me know how it works out for you.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 06-24-2009, 07:20 PM

My dad and I went to the Raven Fork last October and really enjoyed it and we are going back in 2 and a half weeks. You will see the trailhead sign just a little past where Hyatt Creek comes into Straight Fork, and then the parking area is just a little past the trailhead on the left. If you go there be prepared for the tough hike ahead of you and be careful on the Raven Fork since it is a big stream. Trust me when I say you will enjoy lots of beautiful scenery and plentiful brookies. I hope this info helps you out on your trip and I hope you have a good time.

Daniel Koeppel
Old 06-25-2009, 08:27 AM

Hyatt Ridge is a tad steep, but the biggest problems in my opinion are the rocks and the degredation by horses. I would make sure you have some good hiking boots as it gives you possibly the highest chance to turn an ankle. Also, I wouldn't think of going back there unless water was low and slight chance of showers or thunderstorms.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:17 PM

Agreed with MBB, the loose rocks really pose a bigger problem than the steep incline. While the trail can be tough, especially if it's hot and humid, it can be done without much of a problem if you are a hiker. Also, like MBB said, if you're going to fish raven then be very cautious of going there if the water is up. It is a dangerous place to wade if the water is low, let alone even normal spring flows. The enloe creek trail isn't bad at all and will take you all the way over to chasteen creek, a nice hike.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:09 PM

Thumbs up

Thank you everyone for your information. This has been helpful in my trip planning.

I am still interested in anyone's thoughts about leaving a vehicle in the parking lot for a week. My understanding is this is a somewhat secluded location and wondering if anyone has heard about any issues.

Thanks again for everyones input.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:18 PM

I wouldn't leave anything of value in my vehicle if I were to leave it anywhere in the Park or other areas for that matter. If there doesn't appear to be anything of value, then the thieves will be less likely to mess with your vehicle. You may even want to leave your glove box or other compartments open to show they're empty.

Neal
Old 06-25-2009, 03:29 PM

We left my dad's car there for two days and had no problems. The thing is is that a thief would have enough trouble just finding the spot where big cove road enters the park because there are so many small roads going everywhere in that area. Also, in my mind a car jacker would go to a parking lot that he knew how to get to easier anyways so I really don't think you should encounter any problems if you leave it there. If I were you I wouldn't worry about it because it is highly unlikely that someone would take your car back there.

Daniel Koeppel
Old 06-25-2009, 03:34 PM

LOL, Thanks - all good points, now I can just concentrate on worrying about the hike in.