Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-24-2009, 11:28 PM

Default Tellico 6-24

Fished the Tellico today from about noon to 7 ish. Actually I fished the North and Bald rivers today. The outfitter shop was closed so I couldn't buy a daily permit, and had to stay to water that was "open" for me. Didn't do too bad. Caught 6-7 good sized bows, one as long as my forearm!! Wasn't real fat though. No fish story here I actually held him up to see for myself. Biggest fish I have hooked so far in my decade or so of fly-fishing. Caught him right above where the North and Tellico converge.

Every fish I hooked today took my nymph. Used a BHPT about 12-14 size. That was all I had since the outfitter was closed and couldn't stock up on Tellico nymphs. ALternated between an Elk Hair Caddis, and Parchute Adams for the dry, but like I said not a one took the dry, it was just there to let me know when they took the nymph.

Those little jokers were sneaky on the nymphs today. 2 of them hooked themselves as they were hooked before I realized that they took my nymph. Probably missed 8-10 others that got spooked as they took the nymph, or had them on line but couldn't bring to hand. They were all good sized. Couple that I couldn't bring in would have been dandies!

Had to go a good ways up the Bald to get away from all the swimmers. Kids crawling all over the rocks at the falls. I swear I thought 2 of them were seconds away from being a news story. I took a breather at the top of the falls to make sure I could see if they did. All in all a great day!!

One question...What the crap are all those little fish in the Tellico, some have a little red stripe behind their gills?? A few times today I couldn't catch trout for them messing with my dry and nymph. One of them chewed up my next to last BHPT!! Any pointers on how to avoid them

TODD
Old 06-25-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_grainger View Post
One question...What the crap are all those little fish in the Tellico, some have a little red stripe behind their gills?? A few times today I couldn't catch trout for them messing with my dry and nymph. One of them chewed up my next to last BHPT!! Any pointers on how to avoid them
TODD
Sounds like you managed to get into a tangle with some Warpaint Shiners...Did they look like this?>>

I don't know much about keeping them off your fly...
Old 06-25-2009, 08:00 AM

The Smoky Mtn Cutthroat!

When I run into them I usually move to another spot. Some folks go to a larger fly and that helps sometimes, but usually its best to pick another spot. If the Shiners are in a section of the stream, then the larger (carnivorous) fish always seem to be somewhere else...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 06-25-2009, 08:13 AM

I hate warpaint shiners. The bald river is full of them and creek chubs.

If my fly hits the water and immediately looks like a bunch of piranhas are attacking it, I pick up and move.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:34 PM

Yep, that is what kept chewing my fly all up. Isn't that the fish that caused all the hub-bub with the Watts Bar project? No, that was the snail darter. Nevermind. So pick up an move is the answer huh? If they are so prevalent in the Tellico and its tributaries, why don't you see them in the smokies?
Old 06-25-2009, 03:15 PM

They're all over the area, including the Park. They seem to hang out in the slower moving water that may be less oxygenated and less interesting to other trout. There are plenty of them in the Little River...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 06-25-2009, 03:19 PM

Yes.
War paint shiners. They will drive you nuts sometimes. I'm sure they are good for something in the ecosystem. Just not sure what.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_grainger View Post
Caught 6-7 good sized bows, one as long as my forearm!! Wasn't real fat though. No fish story here I actually held him up to see for myself. Biggest fish I have hooked so far in my decade or so of fly-fishing.

TODD
No photos?

sb
Old 06-25-2009, 08:19 PM

yeah, I left the camera in the truck. Haven't found a small one yet that I can take in my vest that isn't too bulky. Wish I had... they were nice ones.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:22 AM

Todd,
FYI, the Telliquah Outfitter shop is hardly ever open and I don't think they have a license machine anyway. The Exxon station on your right as you are heading up the river is the best place in Tellico to buy your permit. Thought this might help you in the future.