Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 08-14-2009, 08:31 AM

After fishing the warm streams around this county in Middle Tn. and fighting cottonmouths for years I thought that mountain fishing would be a breeze because the water was too cold for them,but after seeing the picture of the rattler in the rhodo bush and reading similar posts...... I know I'll have to really be careful.
At least I don't think a rattler can bite underwater......can they?
I always hated to be in water about chest deep and see a healthy cottonmouth go under.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:56 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
Does anyone know of people being bitten while fishing in the park?
If you read the cheap Park map about snakes, it says that no one has ever been bit by a poisonous snake in the park unless they stepped on it, or were trying to mess with it. I think that says alot.

While I saw 4 huge rattlers in 3 weeks last year while fishing Tremont & hike up Elkmont last year, I have yet to see any this year. I almost jumped on one rattler 3.5 feet ( I have pics). I was jumping from a rock in the middle of the river to the other bank. I landed within a foot of the snake whose reaction was to jump off the rock he was on and take cover. As soon as I saw it was a snake I screamed (like a little girl) & jumped right back to the rock in the middle of the river where I then watched the snake and took some shots. I think I scared hime more than he scared me!

Like Bears, give them respect, and I doubt you will have a problem.

Hey Jim, I think you caused the church in Newport to plan a hike to Keg Branch. Poor snakes!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 AM

Default great camo pattern

Old 08-16-2009, 01:05 AM

Default They could be anywhere!

While I have seen more rattlers around Elkmont (4-5 in past 20 yrs), I suspect that they can be spotted most anywhere in the Park or vacinity. I was totally off-guard when in the late 90's, I encountered biggest rattler I've ever seen in of all places, Mt Cammerer (sp?), within 100 yds of the fire tower! So what is a hungry rattler doing at that altitude? Go figure!

Phil
Old 08-16-2009, 11:58 AM

Phil,
My cousin and his family were hiking to the tower and took a break close to it and one of his girls was sitting about five feet from one. The elevation does not seem to bother
them in that area.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Principal View Post
Phil,
My cousin and his family were hiking to the tower and took a break close to it and one of his girls was sitting about five feet from one. The elevation does not seem to bother
them in that area.
I am inclined to agree. I fully expect to see one any minute every time I am in the park, regardless of where I am.

Rivergal, that looks like a real big one! It's definitely in position to strike.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:43 AM

Default Not quite in the park

Nothing substantial out of this, but last weekend I was riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway and came across a recently deceased rattler immediately outside the very appropriately named Rattlesnake Mountain Tunnel.

It amused me, anyway.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:09 AM

Default The 3 amigos

Thanks for the den info Mr. Casada. I'll have to take a careful look around there.
Around elkmont, I have been monitoring/watching a nice little snake den that has various tenants: a black phase rattler(found dead on 8-22, more on that later), 3 or 4 garter snakes, a northern watersnake and anywhere between 4 and 8 copperheads.
as for why anyone would want to visit a snake den, to watch them interact and see what they do. They are amazingly social creatures, to an extant. Their tolerance of other species is fascinating as well. the northern ringneck is the little serpent my mother likes, a very docile, but rather smelly snake.
back to finding the dead rattler...after checking on the den a couple of days, i noticed the rattler hadn't been around. so i started looking in other nearby places that looked rattlerish..pretty much anywhere. right next to the stream i found what looked to be a rattler's tail, minus the rattle. so i went for a closer look. yup. it was the rattler i had seen. looked as if the rattler had fallen off somehow. and then....the yellow jackets greeted me in their friendly fashion. i was even looking where i stepped and never saw their nest until it was too late. fortunately, only 5 got me. never did find out what the other end of the rattler looked like. it was under or in between rocks where i'd have to pick it up and look. I'm going to believe the snake got ledged in the rocks when the river rose. don't know if yellow jackets can sting a snake. i would assume they could. snakes i can work around. yellow jackets can all....well, you know.
just for the record, fishing for me this year has been rather swell, too. not too many keepers, but quantity is good. especially the little specs. wow. very colorful midgets.
any way, here's a picture of 3 amigos(rattler, garter and copper) exiting the log one summer morning. keep your eyes open...

Old 08-28-2009, 06:48 AM

Synchronized snakes! Those vipers have organized just like the Elkmont fireflies!
Old 08-28-2009, 02:19 PM

Dude, that picture is awesome! The three amigos

I had no idea those species would tolerate eachother. You reckon they are drawn to the log because of the heat from the decay?