Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-28-2009, 05:10 PM

Default Tough Day on Clinch

Here it is! The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Day on the Clinch. The good part was that I got out of the house and it was better than spending several hours mowing my yard in the sweltering heat on Saturday.

I arrived at the Jail a little after 10 o'clock this morning. The area was pretty well stocked with anglers, upstream and dowstream. I managed a couple good strikes early on using a small black copper john, but managed to pull the hook out of their mouths. I am so used to ripping on those wild fish in the mountains Broke off another decent fish shortly after hooking up, guess I had a weak place in my tippet. In around 5 hrs. of fishing in the heat I managed to catch two 9" stocker brookies. There was a sparse and sporadic sulfur hatch as the day progressed and some fish were feeding on top, but I didn't have any success on a dry. Looks like it's midge time on the Clinch. I managed to catch one of the brookies on a small yellow-bodied wet fly, but that was it for the day. Finally called it quits around 2 o'clock, and by that time most of the anglers were home sipping a cold one and watching the race

It was good to get out of the house anyway, and I am excited about the long holiday weekend coming up and some cooler temperatures.

Have fun!

BTW Hans you have officially been fired as my Clinch River guide. That should make you happy since I haven't been paying you anyhow

Neal
Old 06-28-2009, 05:24 PM

You got the wrong guy, something about a wolf lurking in the woods.

BTW, saw a huge bear yesterday on Little River Trail. We talked to another fisherman who said there was a second bear below Cucumber gap. They had several bear warning signs posted on the trail.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennswede View Post
You got the wrong guy, something about a wolf lurking in the woods.

BTW, saw a huge bear yesterday on Little River Trail. We talked to another fisherman who said there was a second bear below Cucumber gap. They had several bear warning signs posted on the trail.
Just sounds like you are trying to scare other anglers from one of your favorite fishing haunts Mr. Swede Seems I am due to see a bear in the Smokies. Haven't seen one in three trips this year. I always seem to see one when I am with you. They must like the idea of a Tenneesee Swede in their midst
Old 06-28-2009, 07:25 PM

Neal,

I had my slowest day of the year on the Clinch Saturday, but it still wasn't a bad day. The fish appeared to be stuck somewhere between typical sulfur locations and typical midge locations. I believe the fat lady has sung on this years sulfur hatch. It was a good one, perhaps the best I have ever seen, but all good things must come to an end. Time to break out the #20 & 22 midge patterns and start scouring the bottom.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler

Last edited by ChemEAngler; 06-28-2009 at 10:34 PM..
Old 06-29-2009, 08:04 AM

Fished the Clinch yesterday and it was pretty much the same as it has been for me. I did not see much if any hatch which is fine with me as well.

It fished good yesterday, but that means nothing with that fickle piece of river.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:26 AM

Waterwolf,

I was on the Clinch yesterday as well, up around Llewellyn Island. Wish I would have known you were there. I would have said hello.

I also agree that it fished good yesterday.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:46 AM

Drifted the Clinch yesterday and Saturday. Yesterday was very nice with the steady fog bank and a couple of showers. I caught one 16" fish on a Hare's Ear and several average fish. The fishing was a little slow Saturday, but they seemed to turn on after it warmed up some...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-29-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Weenie View Post
Waterwolf,

I was on the Clinch yesterday as well, up around Llewellyn Island. Wish I would have known you were there. I would have said hello.

I also agree that it fished good yesterday.
I was floating, so you would have to have been awfully tall to see me I am down that way often wading, so I am sure our paths will cross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Drifted the Clinch yesterday and Saturday. Yesterday was very nice with the steady fog bank and a couple of showers. I caught one 16" fish on a Hare's Ear and several average fish. The fishing was a little slow Saturday, but they seemed to turn on after it warmed up some...
Were you in your boat? I was out as well, and don't remeber seeing your boat along my travels.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Shawn,
I saw you drifting by around 1:45 Saturday. I was going to flag you down, but you were on the other side of the river. Glad you had a good day. Things were a little slow for me until the fog lifted off the water around 11:00.

By the way what is up with the umbrella?

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-29-2009, 01:25 PM

I floated the 7 miles of the Clinch with a fellow LRCTU member, Mike Stiehl, in his ugly pink (faded red) canoe. The fish must have been laughing their fins off, because we caught copious fish 12” to 15” plus I got one 17” and Mike got one larger (he says). No matter; I had a blast. I was sore and sunburned, hot and tired, but I still have this silly grin stuck on my face. It’ll take a few more days for the muscles in my face to relax.

TVA opened one generator on Norris Dam around 9am, and the water caught up with us around 1pm. After the water rise, we could only fish from the canoe, and move at the speed of the current. We moved rather quickly, but the fish were still feeding, and we were still catching. We paddled the last ½ mile to clear some shallow ledges. I hated to quit. I’m still dreaming of the fishing…it was great. Thanks, Mike.