Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-29-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gverholek View Post
I floated the 7 miles of the Clinch with a fellow LRCTU member, Mike Stiehl, in his ugly pink (faded red) canoe. The fish must have been laughing their fins off, because we caught copious fish 12” to 15” plus I got one 17” and Mike got one larger (he says). No matter; I had a blast. I was sore and sunburned, hot and tired, but I still have this silly grin stuck on my face. It’ll take a few more days for the muscles in my face to relax.

TVA opened one generator on Norris Dam around 9am, and the water caught up with us around 1pm. After the water rise, we could only fish from the canoe, and move at the speed of the current. We moved rather quickly, but the fish were still feeding, and we were still catching. We paddled the last ˝ mile to clear some shallow ledges. I hated to quit. I’m still dreaming of the fishing…it was great. Thanks, Mike.
Hey,
We were the guys who stopped by and chatted with you while you were fishing the laydown. You two guys were catching way more fish than anybody else I saw on the water Saturday. It seemed like everytime I looked up Mike had one on. It was nice meeting you both, and you are not the only one who was sunburned at the end of the day...

Like I said earlier, I had a much slower day than previous trips. Maybe I just wasn't on my game. I was up with my 1 yr old from midnight to 4AM, but I am not going to use that as an excuse.

I will be looking for redemption when I go back. I will have my midge arsenal prepared.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-29-2009, 03:13 PM

Default Norris water level

Sounds like the Clinch may be in my near future. How is the water level in Norris? Running 2x generators for most of the day puts a damper on at least this wader from LEX. Cumberland is the same way lately, and while it never seems appropriate asking for it to not rain, given our drought last few years, could use a few weeks with gentle soakers. Thx, Watson
Old 06-29-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Were you in your boat? I was out as well, and don't remeber seeing your boat along my travels.
Yes, we did not get out until about 10:30 Saturday due to my brother working late the night before...

Sunday, I fished with a local dentist and we basically just drifted for the heck of it. The water was moving fast in most areas. He had not drifted the Clinch in a while and we were just basically getting out on the water...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler;

By the way what is up with the umbrella?
Hey, it was super hot Saturday and big fellas like me melt in that kind of heat...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-30-2009, 09:02 AM

Yeah, Mike has a winning technique. He covers a lot of water, sets on the slightest indication, and as a result, he hooks a lot of fish. You can't argue with that kind of success. And he ties a great Zebra Midge.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 PM

Default Tough Day on the Clinch

The only limiting factor for Gary and I was that the pink canoe was spooking the fish early in the day and Gary would not take any flies from me until @ 10am. We could not see far from the canoe until @ 9:30. So we had to cast only 20 feet and we could see the fish moving away from the canoe as we passed. Covering water when drifting is the best way, I always get out and wade. If a fish does not bite after a few casts I move on. As Gary found out, there is only 1 fly to fish on the CLinch. It is a little bit of a special tie but not much. I gave Gary two samples and I know he already picked up the extra items needed to tie his zebra midges like mine.
We did see a good sulfer hatch and I always use a parachute adams as an indicator fly when the water is low. I picked up about 25% of the fish on the PA, normally browns and brookies. I think that the normal indicators scare fish off. (IMO) The pink canoe is awesome except for the long stretches of sitting cramped up. The plastic slids right over the rocks, although it does seem to sit lower in back where I am at.

It did help that we were one of the first boat down the river that day.

Tight Lines
Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 AM

There is far more then 1 fly that works and works well on the Clinch.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlstiehl View Post
The pink canoe is awesome except for the long stretches of sitting cramped up. The plastic slids right over the rocks, although it does seem to sit lower in back where I am at.
Hey, it takes the right kind of guy to be able to handle a pink canoe! Props!

*Beats sitting on the couch any day...
to choose, to respond, to change.”