Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-30-2009, 07:05 PM

Default The Isonychia Nymph

Hugh doesn't your Smoky Mountain Balckbird work for this bug?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:22 PM

It sure does Brian. That rising and falling action that I mentioned to you is a way to imitate the swimming action that Rocky described. As Rocky mentioned, these little buggers are strong swimmers.
Hugh
Old 07-01-2009, 08:05 AM

Hugh's Smoky Mountain Blackbird is one of my favorite flies. I never go on a trout fishing trip without them.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:02 PM

I will echo the use of a leadwing coachman as a go to when the dries are not working...I have had some of my best days in the mountains high sticking this fly through swift runs with no indicator....my grandfather fished nothing but wet flies in this fashion for years before he even tried a dry fly.....and I have watched him fish many a dry fly in this fashion and outfish me two to one.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:33 PM

Rog 1,

Sure sounds like you got it down. Do you fish a lot of spiders also? I love the North Country patterns. I'm going to tie some with starling later this year. I haven't fished much with winged wets but I'm sure they are as good as ever.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:38 PM

Would the coachman be considered a "classic" fly?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Hartsell View Post
Tim,
They usually hang around until frost. They have a sister fly that hatches right along with them (the Giant Golden Stonefly), and they both seem to endure until it gets quite cold.
Hugh
Thanks for the info Hugh!
Old 07-01-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Would the coachman be considered a "classic" fly?
The British "Coachman" wet fly was adapted in to a dry fly by Theodore Gordon. A Mr Haley in NY was asked to add durability to the fly and I think he added the red silk to strengthen the fly, and called it Royal Coachman. Sure I would consider it a "Classic"
Old 07-02-2009, 09:50 AM

Another "classic" fly in the Park is the old Ginger Quill....my grandfather told me this was the go to fly when I started fishing up there 50 years ago...asked him why and he just said because it works.....later my high school buddy and I got into the bug work and collected a few samples from the streams to see if we could ID them....once we got the bugs identified we went to a chart to match up the appropriate fly for the bugs and there was the Ginger Quill....great fly for young eyes....but quickly had to start looking for something with a little white on it....best substitute became the royal coachman, then the fan wing coachman, then the royal wulff....have pretty much stayed loyal to anything with a little ginger in the make up....
Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 AM

Rog 1,

You brought up something that I have been looking into over the last couple months. Collecting insects. This might require a new thread being a little outside the topic of this thread.

But my question is if "legal" what do you use to "preserve" the insect. I have recently purchase some nice glass containers for collecting insects but what do you use in the glass container with the insects?

Sorry if I have gone off track of the orginal intent of this thread, just interested.