Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM

Angry Dadgum Caney Fork! 06/30/09

Woke up at noon, and got on the road about 15 minutes later. 1:15, I'm at the steps waiting for the water to fall out. I start casting with this crazy contraption that my dad bought, it's like a wooly bugger- has flash, beadhead, and same pattern, but there is a spinner on the front. I'd used it before spin fishing and tore them up, but no takers today. I changed to a black zebra midge. Nothing. I changed to an orange scud. Nothing. And I just put on a BHPT and finally caught a fish, on the second cast:

Next cast, I catch another, except this time a 3-4" brown. I set him in the net, got my camera out, picked him up, and he flinched and PLUMP. Camera.

I quickly released him and grabbed the camera. I haven't tried to turn it on since, it's probably toast. But the SD card is fine, so now I have my entry to June 1FPM

So by then I'm pissed off. $100 camera just took a swim. I kept fishing but my concentration was on the camera. I decided that after I caught another fish, or got in a tangle, is when I'd head to Happy Hollow. Tangle, adding further rage to my mood. Who said fishing is relaxing?

I drive over to HH (4:00), and there is NO ONE, so that brightens my mood. I start casting with a red midge, and I think I got one bump but no confirmation. A nice gentleman walked in behind me and asked what they were biting on, so that made me laugh and I said I didn't have a clue. We start talking, he tells me about a website that sells all sorts of flies for < .75 (gotta check that one out, I don't believe it), and he shows me what he's getting ready to fish- my classic rig: tan EHC with black zebra midge. He goes off to fish, and I think what the heck... And tie on a EHC with black zebra. Instantly I'm on fish. I caught about 4 browns, all under 10". My next fish was a very small, but very fat rainbow. He looked like a Nerf football.

By this time, I could feel the sunburn on my neck, and on my ears, so I'm about to call it quits when I see this HUGE brown go NUTS over something. If anyone has watched olympic swimming, it looked like he was doing the butterfly. But I find him swimming next to some vegetation. I cast once, watch the EHC drift over him, and disappear. I set the hook, and the fight was on. I could tell he was over 18", but not much, might have been 19-20". Either way, my largest fish on the fly rod for sure. I got him to about 10 feet from my net and I watched the fly pop out in slow motion. Bummed, I start walking to my car. To my right, I see a decent sized brown porpoising next to the bank, in an undercut. I take a few breaths, and cast. I think it might have been my best cast ever. He took it, and I brought to hand a 16" brown. My biggest fish on the flyrod. I caught a 14" brown on an EHC a little over a year ago, and he has remained the biggest until today. I caught a few more browns (they're all over the place!), and called it a day.

Grrr! Stupid Caney, why do I love you so much?!
Old 06-30-2009, 10:29 PM

Trey,

Glad you managed a few fish even though the camera took a swim. Let it dry out thoroughly for several days and it just might still work. Next time your going fishing let me know if you want some company...maybe you can show me where those big browns live...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-30-2009, 10:35 PM

Isn't the fish in the picture a Brookie?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
Trey,

Glad you managed a few fish even though the camera took a swim. Let it dry out thoroughly for several days and it just might still work. Next time your going fishing let me know if you want some company...maybe you can show me where those big browns live...
I had to get a fish for June, or that's what my excuse was at least. Shoot me a PM, I switched phone carriers and lost your phone number. I'd love to go again. And as far as big browns, you're the guru. That was my biggest fish, that's an average fish for you. One so small you might not even photo it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytroutbum View Post
Isn't the fish in the picture a Brookie?
I meant it as caught another fish, except this time it was a brown. It made sense in the ole noggin... But yeah, it was the first of two brookies I caught today. I caught about half a dozen browns, and just one rainbow.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post

We start talking, he tells me about a website that sells all sorts of flies for < .75 (gotta check that one out, I don't believe it),
If he was talking about the flydealflies website, you have to buy in bulk (I think in 10s of the same fly, same color). I bought 10 orange stims from them a year ago. They are garbage. The hooks break easily and they aren't tied very well. I think you get what you pay for on that site.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 AM

Nice fishing Trey. You are geting an anglers mind at a young age. time to start tying. Of course your average price per fly will go to $3.88. Monk
Old 07-01-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Woke up at noon,
Yep, sounds like your day started off rough!! Thanks for the report.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
If he was talking about the flydealflies website, you have to buy in bulk (I think in 10s of the same fly, same color). I bought 10 orange stims from them a year ago. They are garbage. The hooks break easily and they aren't tied very well. I think you get what you pay for on that site.
Nope, it's similar where you have to buy 6 or 12. But it seems legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monktrout View Post
Nice fishing Trey. You are geting an anglers mind at a young age. time to start tying. Of course your average price per fly will go to $3.88. Monk
I've been in an anglers mind since I was 2 My first fish was an 18" bow under the dam. I thought fly tying was supposed to be cheaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
Yep, sounds like your day started off rough!! Thanks for the report.
Extremely rough But it's earlier than usual, so I was still tired
Old 07-01-2009, 05:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

Quote:
Nope, it's similar where you have to buy 6 or 12. But it seems legit.
I know of a store online where you can get a fantastic deal on flies.

Click here.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMontanaAlum View Post
I know of a store online where you can get a fantastic deal on flies.

Click here.
Definitely legit

Hence why I didn't give out the other site, I don't want LRO to lose any business whatsoever. And when I looked at that other site, the flies looked really crappy.