Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-04-2009, 11:28 AM

Default Terrestrials

anyone using land based bugs with any success yet ?
Old 07-04-2009, 11:50 AM

Lightbulb

I throw them sometimes when I get bored. I think you will always have the stimulator effect with them. I like to use them when the river is coming up or in transition and the fish have cooled off. Pick the inner bank of the river (if the river is in a meander). You will find a natural area of relaxed turbidity that can run for several hundred yards. Many fish will move to these areas to relax, eat, and because of the increase of floating debris or they just like the spot. Most of these spots will be covered with tree branches, etc. You can do a one-cast or shadow cast with a drop in effect of a terrestrial mimicking falling in to the water. Be mindful of your casts in to these holes. I love the roll cast for this situation. They will spook more easy due to the stress of the situation (river flow change) and the fish are a little more difficult to reset. So, it is good to have your cast right on and push the fly right up on the bank or at least a foot or so from it. Let the current pull it off...Fish all day long...
to choose, to respond, to change.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:06 PM

Haven't made it back to GSMNP since Troutfest. I've got a Smallies Trip in a week with my brother in Michigan, then I head to the Wyo/Mont line for the Beartooths August 1st till snow!

During July and August, all I carry is my terrestrial box and some Yellow Sallies. My favorite summer patterns are small beetles. I use either A.K.Best's flying beetle (foam beetle with two hackle tip winds out back) and a(14-16) peacock herl beetle-swiss straw top- slightly weighed. I use a 9 ft leader 6x tippet. Fish the "dark-shaded" areas where there are overhanging brush. The sunked beetle has been a KILLER for me in middle of the day. (I'd still carry some yellow sallies for fishing at dusk). The Southern Appalachains have one of the most diverse and abundant Beetle populations in the world. So you are really "matching the hatch".

If you don't catch fish with Beetles are Elkmont, its because "thar ain't no fish up thar", try the Tremont area instead(:>)!

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 07-04-2009, 04:07 PM

I tried a foam yellowjacket this morning at Elkmont- no bites
Old 07-04-2009, 08:48 PM

i fish everytime with a hopper pattern either a clodhopper or a b/c modified hopper
Old 07-04-2009, 11:07 PM

I usually only pull out the terrestrial box if it's the middle of the day. This time of year, the best hatches occur roughly before 9:00 am and then once again around dusk. I've been fishing the Hiwassee lately, so I haven't had much of a choice but to fish early in the morning until 10:00 am due to TVA's release schedule...
Old 07-05-2009, 12:55 PM

Rivergal-Like I said, There ain't no fish up there!(:>) Try that yellowjacket in September and October and I predict your results will be different. A lot of us go to great extremes trying to "match the hatch" with Mayfly and Caddis but are less selective when we throw terrestrals.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 07-05-2009, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the yellow jacket tip Randall. I did see 2 trout nose my flies,
and had some bites on a parachute.