Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-05-2009, 08:20 PM

Default July 3rd-5th

Started off at Metcalf Bottoms. Caught this monster, I call him a "Smoky Mountain Bonefish" :

Went up above Treemont and fished a few pools. Only made it about a mile or so before my legs gave out. Met a really nice fellow and his wife and daughters. Talked to them a minute and he gave me some tips on my midge/nymph selection, but I was too disgusted for not having caught anything (and I was about to pass out from hiking), so I didn't linger long before getting back to fishing a few nice pools. Saw some really nice hatches and watched several flies land on the water and stay for a long time with absolutely no rise, so I took off my dry and went to a straight nymph and tried some high sticking. No results. Out of the entire weekend, I saw two rises, by trout, to my flies. One was at MB and the other at the bridge at Treemont. I won't give up thought and will try again in the Fall and definitely next Spring (if I don't have to move to get a new job):

I saw a wild boar when I was driving up to Treemont (early in the morning). He was black as coal and looked like a bear. Tried to take a picture, but he just blended in.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:27 PM

Went back to Metcalf Bottoms and fished a bit on the second day. Found an interesting mushroom. I guess these are UT mushrooms:

Old 07-05-2009, 10:29 PM

Thumbs up

BRF,
Great pics man! At least you didnt get skunked! Thanks for the report, ive been wondering how things were up there in the GSMNP. It looks like the weather was nice too. It sure beats being at home.

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 07-05-2009, 10:54 PM

Was this what he looked like? I took this above tremont on July 1st.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:17 PM

Nice trip there BRF! I think I caught that same "Bone" at MB last year in July!! I landed a couple down there pushing 12 in..
I fished a little this past week, started the week around Sugarlands and caught and missed a few. We ended up having to leave earlier than planned so I only got to go a couple of times but I did fish Wed. on Roaring fork up close to and above the park and caught 3 little wild bows, pretty colors, about 7 or 8 in. long. Missed a couple there too though, and caught 1 on dropper, others on stimulator.
I'm off again labor day week so I'll give another try then hopefully but we had a good, safe trip this week so you can't ask for more. Tight lines!!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:30 PM

BP, thanks, yeah it was a lot better than being at home.

TLS, yep, looks just like him.

Bran, I should have gone over to that side and tried, but after the hike above Treemont, my legs were smoked.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:20 PM

What are those fish w/ the bumpy heads? I caught a couple of them when I was there...the fish is almost so ugly it's cool.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:54 PM

We call 'em knottyheads at home in VA.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:28 PM

Default Knot heads

I have always called them Hornyheads. There is a sign posted at the National Forest entrance to Paint Creek that refers to them as such on the fishing regs. They are usually very agressive on their takes. Interesting looking fish!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:03 AM

Yes, I have heard them called knottyheads and horneyheads. I believe the technical name (non Latin) is Stoneroller. Supposedly, they are quite good to eat. I had an uncle that preferred them to trout. I believe they do compete with trout for food. I think only the males get the knots or horns on their heads.