Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-06-2009, 11:50 AM

Default July 4th and 5th Reds!

I decided since the tide was high at around 7pm at the Savannah river mouth, that I would look for some tailing reds in the short grass. Where I ended up was quite a hike, but ended up catching 4 redfish, and breaking off two others. The tide was not high until 8pm or so where I was. Hooked my best fish (that I landed) at 9pm a 31 inch fish. Took a friend and my 14 year old daughter back on Sunday even though the tide was an hour later. I caught another 3 reds, and my daughter Jessie caught her first redfish on a fly, a 20 inch fish.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:09 PM

Nice fish! I see your located in God's country. Headed that way soon. I hope to have my boat in tow for some specks and spots as well.

Want to let go with the info on the fly you were using?..
Old 07-06-2009, 11:40 PM

Nice catches!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 07-07-2009, 08:03 AM

Default Fly

The fly I was using was an epoxy spoon fly that I made using a christmas bow, some crystal flash, and some maribou feathers. Having said that my daughter caught hers on a Dupree spoon fly. Bay Street Outfitters in Beaufort stocks them. The spoon flies that I tie follow the basic design that I found on the web here:

http://www.nwmangum.com/spoonfly/index.html

I modified it a little based on the materials that I had available. I also caught one on a gotcha pattern that I had tied, modified to include a weed guard.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:23 AM

Thats awesome, I think i am definetly coming to Beaufort to fish 07/24!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 07-07-2009, 09:01 AM

Default Fly Pictures

Here are a couple of the flies that I have tied and use for redfishing here in the low country.

This is the spoon fly:

And a couple others:

Old 07-07-2009, 09:05 AM

Default Additional Pictures

Here are some pictures from the 4th. The pictures are not as good as the ones I have previously posted due to the fact that I was by myself, taking the pictures with one hand as I landed/handled with the other.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:36 AM

Default Get better at posting

Reading my initial post, I did not do a very good job with providing useful information and I apologize. I was wade fishing in Beaufort, SC the evenings of July 4th and 5th in the short spartina grass (this means that you can wade safely because the bottom is firm enough...tall grass indicates puff mud and you cannot wade it safely). I was using a homemade spoon fly, my daughter used a dupree spoon fly that I purchased at Bay Street Outfitters in Beaufort, SC.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:35 PM

John,
Thanks for the info and the impressive web site for those spoon flies. I am headed that way this summer again and hopefully will have my boat in tow if your interested. When I keep the slotters, I am always impressed with the number of tiny crab that are in their stomachs. Finding the right kind of wadeable grass flats in that area to me is tough. I am mostly hit or miss. Getting off in that muck is only for the birds.

Where do you put in roughly to get to the mouth of the Savannah? I normally am all over the St. Helena sound out of Sam's Point, and then Station Creek on St. Helena.

Do you guide?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 PM

Man, as always I'm a day late....I was just there in Beaufort for the 4th as my brother in law lives there on Ladys Island. Spend most of the holiday down in Lands End off bay point rd below ft freemont and we spend the morning crabbin' in some creek and laying bout the beach. all I could think about was getting my line wet as I've not done much salt.
My brother in law is not much of a fly fisherman, he knew I was itchn so we hopped in his keywest sportsman (17ftr) and hit morse island creek way below lands end THe motor kept messin up so not much fishing to be done but I could have used your great info earlier! I did get bumped on a clouser but nothing hooked. Anyhow, thanks for sharing an I'm tying up some patterns for next time.
And will probably spending more time down there as my wife is trying to get me to move there - she loves that Coosaw Point subdivision. I can't bear to leave the mountains though!