Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-06-2009, 04:07 PM

Default Caney Fork in poor shape, imo.

I have not purchased a hunting or fishing license this year in protest of the poor management by the TWRA of the Caney Fork, imo. I have several fishing friends who keep asking me to go and I turn them down, they tell me the river is doing well, but I think they are just being overly optimistic.

A colleague ask me to show him how I fly fish, I know he seldom gets a chance to go fishing, and he offered to pay for the license. So with a one day license and trout stamp in hand off I went on July 3rd.....yeah I know.

I showed up before dawn and before he arrived to work out the kinks of not having been on the river for 10 months. I had gotten some good information from a friend and off I went to scout prior to my colleagues arrival later in the morning. I was shocked to find myself alone on the water at dawn. Many small stocker rainbows and browns were jumping and I anticipated some fast action. I changed flies a few times looking for the magic one and started hooking fish. I broke off my first three not being used to 6x tippet. My last fish caught came on 80lb test.

After landing 3 stocker sized fish (2 brown, one rainbow) I started into a good stretch of water. I had several nice sized rainbows take my strike indicator and finally hooked a solid brown of about 18 inches that gave me one good jump and three nice runs.

Soon after it was time to leave and meet my colleague. I had only landed four fish in two hours and placed it on the thick fog hanging around the river and my rusty skills.

In the time I waited for my colleague the water filled up with people and off we went. I wasn't bothered by the number of people and had a few guys run down river in front of me, but I was more interested in teaching than catching. Oddly most guys ran through the best water, I mean RAN.

With the fog off the water and the river at a great level for fly fishing I expected some fast action and kept waiting for it to happen. It never materialized. My colleague caught some fish and so did I, but the tailouts of pools that once held dozens of fish now held one or two and the main polls had no solid rainbows. I caught another 17 inch brown in just about the same place I caught the 18 incher, and moved my fishing partner into this section as several fish were actively feeding. He hooked several and was doing quit well.

My colleague had to leave after only a few short hours but had caught fish and was rather proficient at using the strike indicator, so I felt he could go again on his own when his schedule permitted. I also left 25 flies that work on the river in various sizes for him at work this morning. I hope he gets to use them and catch fish with them. One got me three over 20 inches in one day.....it has lots of mojo.

The point of this post is my concern for the falling quality of fish in the river. In the past I could conservatively catch 40-50 fish per day from 14-18 inches without batting an eye. While I did catch around 20-30 trout for the half day all but the two browns and maybe one or two 12 inch brook trout were stockers. I saw one bait fisherman with a nice 18 inch rainbow he retained but not much else. I spent a good hour just walking through the river looking in the heads and tails of pools, I know well, for any trout. Most in the past held 30-40 fish each now I saw 1-5 fish total.

I acknowledge the rains and dam repair work are not helping the situation, but I cannot be led to believe that regulations if put in place on the Caney Fork, much like on the Clinch, would somehow limit recreation (for all users) and ruin the river. It saddens me to see this good water devoid of many decent fish. I honestly think some solid regulations could remedy this situation in one short season.

GS
Old 07-06-2009, 06:39 PM

although i am not a flyfisherman. i too have seen the Fishing go way down compaired to last yr.

i have been three times this yr. one time it was a half day and we did well. about 50-60 fish. and a few in the 17-20 insh range. this trip was back in the spring.

one trip about two weeks ago sucked. we did a half day and caught about 30 fish MAX and only two where 16-18 inches.

we also went on 7-5-09 and we did well yesterday a another half day float. and we caught about 50-60 fish. one bow that was 19inhes and 4 browns that ranged 15-19iches. also one brook that was 13-14 inches. we caught 7 largemouth bass 11-14inches. and 4 wallayes 11-13 inches.

the water is for sure warmer then it was this time last yr soo i know that has some to do with it. but i also agree some better regs would help the river out alot. i sent my idea to the TWRA. soo with all our ideas floating around maybe something will happen.

oh yea on all three trips i let them all go to fight another day.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:25 PM

Gutshot- a guide in Cody, Wyo. I know ties a turck's tarantula with red and yellow bodies for when fish hit indicators.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 PM

Sounds like a great idea. I was fishing a small brown piece of yarn and had some elk wing caddis in the box, but didn't follow up with them.....I have in the past. Can be great fun.

I just hope the state does something to improve the quality of the fish without hurting anyone's ability to fish. I have had so many days with back to back x5 or x10 18-20 inch rainbows. They fight like all get out and are just gorgeous. I let them all go.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 PM

The Caney definitely seems to have a lot fewer rainbows right now. There are lots of browns and they do very well in that river. I would love to see a slot on them though instead of an 18" minimum. The current regs have created a river full of fish up to 18" but not many over...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://troutzoneanglers.com
http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com

Old 07-06-2009, 10:34 PM

I second that. I wisht they would just leave the browns as catch and release only.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:51 PM

I think we may have a shot at getting some reg changes on the Caney, hopefully the Corp can keep the water to a satisfactory bug producing, fish growing level.
Regs aren't squat if water quality isn't there

Grumpy
Old 07-07-2009, 01:17 AM

Well, I used to manage maybe 4-6 fish a day with the fly, but the last trip I took on the 30th was a blast. I hooked fish left and right, and brought about a dozen to hand.

The highlight of my trip was watching these two guys, about my age, fly fish. They had all the gear, and they looked the part. They casted well, but when it came to catching fish, they couldn't. I know they're local because I've seen them twice before. Near the end of the day the older one was tossing a streamer, while talking to some bait fishermen about what it takes to catch a fish, how to do it with the fly, and so on. He didn't catch one during that talk, while I'd brought about 6 to hand. Every time they heard my line zip off the water, they stared. Made me feel like a pro
Old 07-07-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I think we may have a shot at getting some reg changes on the Caney, hopefully the Corp can keep the water to a satisfactory bug producing, fish growing level.
Regs aren't squat if water quality isn't there

Grumpy

yeap.

not sure if it had to do with the water temp or what. but i noticed the bigger trout we caught seemed to be wore out. we got them to boat asap. and then had to revive them more then i have ever had too. i thought we might have to keep a few this trip cause they just seemed weaker then normall after a fight.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:05 AM

"not sure if it had to do with the water temp or what. but i noticed the bigger trout we caught seemed to be wore out." Water temperature affects the oxygen levels. The decreased oxygen levels will cause the fish to become lethargic and tire easily.