Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Default Just my opinion

IMO, It's one thing to disagree with an agency's policies and post it on a message board. It's another to call them out by name and then resort to name calling. Shows a total lack of class. Haven't you been kicked off other message boards for this same thing?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:14 PM

Default good call

Good post there Buzz. What we as anglers need to do is be patient and persistent. This is not something that will change overnight. The reality is that the trout fishery is not very high on the list of priorities for the powers that be.I hate the way it is as much as anyone, but it is what it is right now. Just keep the emails and letters coming, and stay on them as a unified front.In the meantime, we can focus on cleaning the Caney up and ACTING like we as a whole care about the quality of the resource.

-Mag
Old 07-08-2009, 09:59 PM

Default Trout Numbers

From reading this post I see alot of good points that can improve the quality of the the trout populations in the Caney Fork River. I totally agree that a slot limit would greatly increase the numbers of all the trout that live in that water system. I have seen first hand, being a marine biologist in NC, that the numbers of many saltwater gamefish increase due to the implenation of slot limits, both length and daily limits. I would love to go the Caney and catch 20-30 trout like someone mentioned above, but that just does'nt happen for me. I typically only land 2 or 3, bows and browns. If I were to land 20 -30 trout or even a third of that number, I would be the happiest guy on the river! I also saw that someone said they were catching 50-60 trout in a day last year and now those numbers are down. I can only think that they are down due to an overharvesting or that the TWRA is not stocking as many trout as they used to. Just some thoughts for what it's worth.

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpopper View Post
I also saw that someone said they were catching 50-60 trout in a day last year and now those numbers are down. I can only think that they are down due to an overharvesting or that the TWRA is not stocking as many trout as they used to. Just some thoughts for what it's worth.
We had one of those days yesterday They are actually stocking rather heavily & 50 trout might make 10 lbs

Grumpy
Old 07-09-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
IMO, It's one thing to disagree with an agency's policies and post it on a message board. It's another to call them out by name and then resort to name calling. Shows a total lack of class. Haven't you been kicked off other message boards for this same thing?
I have not been kicked off of any message boards, you must be thinking of someone else. They are public officials and thus subject to public scrutiny. I guess according to your theory and views we should not speak out against politicians or any other govt officials when we disagree and just sit on our hands and watch things unfold as they may.

I have said the same to the very people I mentioned to their face and stand by my opinions that they have not and are not managing our coldwater resources in the proper manner. The warmwater guys do an excellent job, but the coldwater guys do not even come close.

I am sorry if you are one of those that believes everything the agency shows you or puts out there as gospel information, but having seen their theories on our coldwater fisheries debunked time after time, it is hard to sit back, listen, and believe.

Since you think so highly of them and their policies why don't you pose the question to Mr. Habera about natural reproduction in the Clinch and see what he tells you. Then come back and reveal what he says, I can guarantee you it is dead wrong, unless something has dramatically changed in the last few weeks with their mentality.

It took almost 15 years to get slots on the Clinch after the passing of the quality zone. The whole time we were fed the line that slots wouldn't work, that the river was fine our skills were the problem, and that no one harvested enough fish to make a difference. Then all of a sudden everything did a 180, and now we have slots and things are vastly improved in a short period of time.

Playing coy and soft with these folks does not work, you will get steamrolled and nothing will change. You and anyone else that enjoys the Clinch and the new slots, owes a lot of thanks to people that will remain nameless who stood up and screamed, not whispered, to change things. It wasn't an accident that things were all of a sudden changed.

Personally I think Jim Habera is a nice guy, but we see things very differently. I have fished with Frank Fiss several times, and I do not think he is even here anymore, also a nice guy. It is nothing personal with them and it may not even be their agenda which is pushed forward. Politics plays a gigantic role in all of this stuff.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I have not been kicked off of any message boards, you must be thinking of someone else.
I hadn't seen you posting on TNDeer lately, rumor is, you'd been kicked off. I appologize if I am wrong.

Quote:
They are public officials and thus subject to public scrutiny. I guess according to your theory and views we should not speak out against politicians or any other govt officials when we disagree and just sit on our hands and watch things unfold as they may.
What are my theories and views? I did not post them. All I posted is that your name calling shows a lack of class.

Quote:
Jim Habera and crew might be some of the biggest bafoons around when it comes to managing our coldwater resources......................................... .......Big Game Guy is just as laughable as the other biologists when it comes to managing the fish and game in this state. Most of them need to find another profession. Especially the turkey biologist and him as a deer "biologist".
Quote:
Idiots, they wouldn't know fisheries management if it hit them in the face, same goes for big game management as well.
Please respond, I would like to know what my theories and views are?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpopper View Post
I can only think that they are down due to an overharvesting or that the TWRA is not stocking as many trout as they used to. Just some thoughts for what it's worth.
I think it is a combination of the two. The main point of my post is that the holdover fish that are really nice sized and give a great fight are critically down. As Grumpy alluded to, there are lots of tiny stocked browns, rainbows, and brooks, but it takes a good year of growth for them to reach that nice 16-20 inch range. This is my big concern. The quality fish are greatly down, these aren't even trophy fish just solid quality, backbone of the river fish.

The Caney is all about fishing technique. Find the fly the fish want and present it in the manner they like and whammo, big numbers. Lots of guys choose not to fish that way or have not been shown how to fish that way. The best way to learn is to go to Arkansas and fish with a guide......

Last edited by gutshot; 07-09-2009 at 05:16 PM..
Old 07-09-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I hadn't seen you posting on TNDeer lately, rumor is, you'd been kicked off. I appologize if I am wrong.?
I only post every now and then you must be confusing me with someone else. Probably captain hook, who I know very well but we are two distinctly different people. The basic facts should make that rather clear, i.e. me being from Norris and him being from Miss.

Quote:
What are my theories and views? I did not post them. All I posted is that your name calling shows a lack of class.
I can only assume you are the type who believe everything and every word passed down from TWRA. You seem to worship them and take up with their side when it is challenged. That is what I am referencing.

As far as my lack of class, pretty crazy thing for you to say seeing how you have no idea who I am as pointed by your earlier comments. I apologize that I speak frankly in regards to the so called biologists managing our coldwater resources, but I feel and it has been proven that they are somewhat clueless about what is reality on our rivers or just don't care. Bow down and worship their feet, but if standing up for the betterment of the resource makes you think I have no class, then rest assured I will not lose one second of sleep based on what you think of me. In fact I take it as a compliment.

Oh and while we are at it, anyone that wants to challenge the natural reproduction on the Clinch reality please let me know. I saw thousands of young of the year rainbows this morning on the river. Not fingerlings, but 1/2" or lesser fry, always a pleasant sight and one which is routine anymore.

Last edited by waterwolf; 07-09-2009 at 03:02 PM..
Old 07-09-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
The best way to learn is to go to Arkansas and fish with a guide......

Or go to the Caney & hire a guide

Grumpy
Old 07-09-2009, 04:23 PM

Grumpy,
Will you take me out in MY old Clacka if I hire you and let me row while you fish too? I promise not to crack the rowing seat again like I did before you got it!