Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 07-13-2009, 10:20 PM

Gonna order some micro hooks from LRO on the 15th. Drag is always a bear of a problem; I was using a 12 ft leader with another with another 3 ft of 7x. Need to figure out the gum shock butt and few other things to keep from breaking off on the hook set. Using a 6wt rod probably didn't help either. There are few fish wearing lip jewelry.

Thanks,
bones
Old 07-14-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have the larval stages down pretty much from the Cumberland.

Bones, I started fishing the Cumberland last fall and really liked that river. I'll be fishing it again in the colder months so if you ever want a fishing buddy up there, give me a holler...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 07-14-2009, 06:09 PM

Sure would enjoy some company on the water Plateau Angler; espeacially if you have a boat. Its fishing good right now the corp is pushing 2,020 CFS most days so wade fishing is out but the fish are still eager.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:38 AM

Bones, unfortunately I don't have a good fishing boat. I have a canoe which is great to get around from shoal to shoal but doesn't do real well for fishing out of... I probably won't start fishing up there until September but definitely shoot me an email or something if you'll be fishing up there during the cooler months...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 07-16-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
Bones, unfortunately I don't have a good fishing boat. I have a canoe which is great to get around from shoal to shoal but doesn't do real well for fishing out of... I probably won't start fishing up there until September but definitely shoot me an email or something if you'll be fishing up there during the cooler months...
Travis,
Let me know if you would like to borrow my boat sometime and you are welcome to take whomever....As long as you try and have a good time...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-27-2009, 02:03 PM

Question Technical Water

Hey Bones, I too fish that technical piece of water. Are there any caddis left or is it just midges? I haven't been down there in a couple of weeks. Were they coming completely out of the water? I've been there for that show a time or two and it can get pretty frustrating. Especially when I have my 11 yr old son in tow and he is trying his hand. Maybe we could hook up sometime and compare tactics.

Wags
Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 PM

gg1262 some #16 tan caddis came of early then it poured. After the brief shower, micro midges and #24-#26 BWOs peeled off. Terribly frustrating to see 15 + inch coming out of the water on tiny bugs.

One group of folks was doing fairly using a tandem nymph rig. Nymphing just wasn't my thing there on that particular day; too much grass and rising fish put my mind on the top water bite.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:31 PM

I was up there fishing that tailwater the other day and they were rising like crazy. Caught around fifteen in the first two hours on 7x and a #26 griffiths gnat. Then they quit rising and they shut off. Went up stream to a deep run that I know holds a big brown in it. I've caught her twice. The first time (2 years ago) she was around 18 inches. Then last fall i caught her again and she was 22 inches. This time when I saw her she looked to around 24 inches. Fished for her for around one hour and couldn't get her to eat. Tried every fly even got out of the water and backed off for a while. She wouldn't eat. I guess she wasn't hungry.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:32 PM

Question Indiana Tailwater Question

Bones and 3wt:

Have you guys spent a lot of time up on the tailwater? I am curious as to what you think is going on during those times when the fish are coming completely out of the water. At times I think they are chasing caddis that are right on top of the water. Then I wander if it is some kind of emergence that they are taking. I've taken fish with an X-caddis, I've taken some with a midge emerger, but I've never felt like I KNOW what is going on. Any chance you guys would like to hook up some time and swap some knowledge?

Wags
Old 07-28-2009, 04:34 PM

I get up there about once or twice a year. Most times there are tiny micro caddis, that may be what thay are taking. A #20-#24 griffiths gnat will work. This last time I was up they were even more selective. I had two or three #26 para cream midges and some BWOs in the same size, that were effective to a point.

Shoot me an e-mail about hooking up. Maybe we can figure them out. If you like top water Otter Creek here on post will be awesome come January.

Duckhunter 2710 @ AOL.com