Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-30-2009, 01:37 AM

Jim, thanks for catching the Hyatt Branch miscue. I corrected to Laurel Branch

Thanks, also, for the feature ideas. At the very least, I’d plan to highlight sections of streams (not specific honey holes, of course) where the specks are now showing up. I want the maps to be somewhat real time, updated, say monthly, to reflect conditions over the last year. I would glean the latest finds and events from this great message board and other reputable sources. Other features might be bridge washouts, areas with problem bears, etc. I am considering posting a poll to see what members think. I know this type thing tends to be controversial.

Although I love the sport, I wish to rely on you and others far more knowledgeable than I as to rating the streams and for other angling insights. To that end I have created a demo Streams Index page on my site, which cites references to certain streams in Smokies books by Kirk, Jacobs, Rutter and, soon you, if you are open to that. Please take a look see.

JoeFred

Last edited by JoeFred; 07-30-2009 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: Fix typo
Old 07-30-2009, 06:49 AM

JoeFred--I like the speckled trout (you'll never catch a tradition-oriented son of the Smokies like me calling them brook trout, although mountain trout, specks, and natives, as well as epeckled trout, are fine) coverage idea. One thing about specks, with rare exceptions, they are far enough back of beyond that hot spotting isn't a huge problem.
As for the stream index, it's an interesting concept. My book (and I get proofs today) will have mention of far more streams than you list, because I cover a lot of small feeders as well as every major stream. There are at least four other books you ought to consider perusing if you want completeness--Joe Manley's from early Park days, Jim Gasque's classic, J. E. B. Hall's book of a few years back (covers N. C. side only), and H. Lea Lawrence's book. Harry Middleton's On the Spine of Time also mentions a number of Park streams, although it is strictly fictional. Still, it is so full of mood and feel and so wonderfully written it deserves reading by every Smokies angler. Jim Casada
Old 07-30-2009, 09:00 AM

Jim, like you and many others that post, I believe sharing "back of beyond" trip reports isn't a bad thing particularly in light of the success the restoration program is having.

The initial list of streams I chose was just to put together a concept page without getting bogged down in HTML ****. Over time I plan to list every stream on my maps for which I can find a plausible reference. As of now I have 150 such in my database and wish to add more. I'm pleased, but not surprised, to hear your book will have lots. Can't wait!

I will definitely look to add the other books. Thanks for this and all the rest you are sharing with us all.

JoeFred

PS. I added a "k" to “specs” in my previous post. I guess “specs” comes from my working around construction. I must never, ever let spec work, or any kind for that matter, stand in the way of my pursuit of the natives.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:17 PM

Exclamation Tuckasegee Map Divided into Two Maps

Sorry for replying to my own post, but I wanted to let everyone know that I am in the process of splitting the one map I had dubbed the Tuckasegee River system into two maps. Until I formally finish doing so, you may view the following temporary scissor-job versions using these links:

Oconaluftee River System (includes Raven Fk, Bradley Fk & many more feeders and their tributaries)
08-21-09 UPDATE: New "Luftee" Map now available via a new thread.

West Tuckasegee River System (feeder streams include those from Deep Creek on the east to just west of Forney Creek and their tribs)

I truly "misunderestimated" the extent of streams, etc. in this marvelous area of the park. Just wasn't enough room on a mere 22" x 33" piece of paper to fit in all the good stuff.

Still to be added are topos, landmarks, etc.

JoeFred

Last edited by JoeFred; 05-07-2010 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: Deleted inactive link
Old 11-01-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
JoeFred--...
As for the stream index, it's an interesting concept. My book (and I get proofs today) will have mention of far more streams than you list, because I cover a lot of small feeders as well as every major stream. There are at least four other books you ought to consider perusing if you want completeness--Joe Manley's from early Park days, Jim Gasque's classic, J. E. B. Hall's book of a few years back (covers N. C. side only), and H. Lea Lawrence's book. Harry Middleton's On the Spine of Time also mentions a number of Park streams, although it is strictly fictional. Still, it is so full of mood and feel and so wonderfully written it deserves reading by every Smokies angler. Jim Casada
Jim, in addition your fine book, I now have the one by H. Lea Lawrence and one on hikes by Russ Manning and place names by Allen Coggins. When you have the time, check out the stream additions and book references at:
........ LINKS DELETED

Thanks again for your helpful advice,
JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 03-02-2012 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Deleted links