Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 07-20-2009, 06:02 PM

Default New Kayak

I am looking at buying a new kayak to fish the tailwaters around tennessee. I have looked at the native kayaks and I really like some of them. I am looking at one that I can stand up in, and would like to spend less than $1000 dollars. Does anyone have any recomendations on a type and brand of kayak that would work for this? Also does anyone know where I can go and purchase one?
Old 07-20-2009, 06:53 PM

Skip the kayak and buy an old $600 aluminum boat with trailer. Add a trolling motor and you are set...

Also, you will be able to sell the boat to upgrade or change easier than the kayak...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 PM

Yeah I have thought about that also, but I have little boat experience and I just thought a kayak would be easier. I do already have a trolling motor so it would end up being less expensive Do you know where I could get a boat like that?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:20 AM

Heck get both! I don't know about small john boats but i can tell you this having a kayak rigged up for fishing is awesome, you can go where no one else can, you can rigit by yourself very easily with anything from rod holders to cup holders. So many ways to tweak it to suit your fishing, Plus putting into lakes and rivers requires little more than a small break in the tree line, they are light and easily dragged to you secret access spots. Well worth it, plus you can score a sit-in, which i have, for 3-4 hundred dollars check Gander Mt, nice dude works there and will help you see how to rigg it, also check Dicks sports, i have a basic pelican sit-in and I love it, no trailer no moving parts, no worries just throw it in the truck bed or on the roof racks. Fish'll never see ya coming!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 07-21-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh10567 View Post
Yeah I have thought about that also, but I have little boat experience and I just thought a kayak would be easier. I do already have a trolling motor so it would end up being less expensive Do you know where I could get a boat like that?
Check your area on the Craigslist site. Here is a link to the Knoxville area boats: http://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/

You just need to add a deep cycle battery and get a good battery charger.
*Things you can add:
-Cooler
-Seats
-Umbrellas
-Etc...
**Plus, a fishing partner can go too... Just alternate directions or anchor and wade...

Most boats are pretty light without a motor (x<200#) and they are easy to move around with a decent trailer.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-21-2009, 10:24 AM

I've fly fished out of a kayak for several years. I would not stand up in one though. Too dangerous. I know several people with natives and they only stand in flat water. Too many fishermen drown each year to be careless on the river.
kayaks are great for getting to wadable areas. They are also fantastic for fishing lakes.
I also use a canoe and I do stand and cast from it but only on the slow moving sections. I am installing outrigger sponsons soon to add to the stability.

wilderness systems makes 2 great fishing kayaks. The tarpon 120 SOT and the ride 135. Riversports in Knoxville carries them.
If you go with a canoe, you can add a trolling motor (don't forget to register the boat with twra), anchor systems, removable outriggers, and comfy seats.
I like my used Mohawk Nova 16. very stable platform for casting and I don't need to pull a trailer or need a boat ramp to launch.
boats are great but always respect the river.

buddy Tom in his Tarpon 120

Last edited by Troutman; 07-21-2009 at 10:41 AM..
Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 AM

You've got to register a canoe if you add a trolling motor?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 AM

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/boatregistrations.html

I read it that if you put a trolling motor on any boat it must be registered. I know guys that have had to register their pontoons if they put a trolling motor on it.
If you only use paddles or oars (no gas or electric motor) then you do not have to register it.

I just called TWRA at region 4 office and they said you do have to register any boat if you put a trolling motor or gas on it.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:58 AM

Thanks. I learn someting here ever day.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:51 PM

Yeah I really like both of the ideas. The thing is I just feel like a kayak would be a lot easier to maintain and get around in, but the jon boat would be less tiresome to get around the river or lake in but I guess I could use some exercise. I really like the idea of outfitting a kayak with some cool fishing gagets. I guess I will just have to get out and look at the pros and cons of each. Thanks for all the help everybody.